Indoor Tennis Courts
150 E. Provo UT 84602
PROVO, Utah – The BYU women’s tennis team won its first match of the 2013 season by defeating Weber State 7-0 on Saturday afternoon at the Indoor Tennis Courts.
“The girls came out and played really well today,” head coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said. “They played with confidence and it’s a great way to start our season.”
BYU (1-0) swept Weber State (0-1) to improve to 13-0 all-time against the Wildcats.
Sophomore Morgan Anderson and freshman Mackenna Maddox beat Michelle Warwick and Ashley Tanner 8-2. The third doubles duo of senior Aubrey Paul and junior Desiree Tran also won 8-2 against Carly Lloyd and Nittaya Phoharath.
All six singles matches were won by BYU in straight sets. Anderson played first singles and won 6-2, 6-1 against Tanner. Sheehan-Dizon outlasted Elmer 6-1 7-5.
On court 3, Desiree Tran dominated Kurer 6-1, 6-1. Maddox also quickly secured a point for her team by beating Warwik 6-0, 6-1.
Nicolette Tran got her first victory as a Cougar and Paul came away with a win on court 6.
The Cougars will face the Utah State Aggies next Saturday at noon in Provo.
1. Sheehan-Dizon/N. Tran (BYU) def. Elmer/Kurer (WSU) 8-3
2. Anderson/Maddox (BYU) def. Warwick/Tanner (WSU) 8-2
3. Paul/D. Tran (BYU) def. Lloyd/Phonharath (WSU) 8-2
1. Morgan Anderson (BYU) def. Ashley Tanner (WSU) 6-2, 6-1
2. Meghan Sheehan-Dizon (BYU) def. Kristi Elmer (WSU) 6-1, 7-5
3. Desiree Tran (BYU) def. Thais Kurer (WSU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Nicolette Tran (BYU) def. Nittaya Phonharath (WSU) 6-7, 6-3 (Ret.)
5. Mackenna Maddox (BYU) def. Michelle Warwick (WSU) 6-0, 6-1
6. Aubrey Paul (BYU) def. Annika Karlsen (WSU) 6-2, 6-1
PROVO, Utah – The BYU women’s tennis team hosts the Weber State Wildcats for its first home match of the 2013 season Saturday at noon at the Indoor Tennis Courts.
“The girls are really excited to start the season off,” head coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said. “They all have a really positive attitude entering this match.”
The Cougars have won seven of its last nine home openers. They won eight matches in 2012, their first year as a member of the West Coast Conference.
BYU is 12-0 against in-state opponent Weber State. The last time the two teams competed was in 2005 when BYU won 7-0.
Junior Desiree Tran is ranked No. 17 in the region in singles play entering Saturday’s match against the Wildcats.
Admission is free and spectators may park in the “Y Lot” parking lots to the northwest and southwest of the courts.