Fertitta Tennis Complex
4505 S Maryland Pkwy Las Vegas NV 89119
LAS VEGAS - After experiencing its best start since 2006, the BYU women's tennis team suffered its first loss of the season as it fell to No. 67 UNLV 5-2 at the Fertitta Tennis Complex.
"We came out strong in doubles today and played confident," head coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said. "But as a team we didn't execute as well in singles and UNLV took advantage."
Aubrey Paul and Desiree Tran got the first win of the day as they topped Iren Kotseva and Anett Ferenczi-Bako 8-2 on Court 3. The duo of Meghan Sheehan-Dizon and Nicolette Tran left the doubles point up for grabs as they lost 8-3.
BYU kept its momentum in singles play as Nicolette Tran kept her unbeaten streak alive with a 6-2, 6-2 win over Ferenczi-Bako on Court 4.
"Nicolette [Tran] played great in singles today," Jones-Spencer said. "I think it was one of her best matches as a Cougar."
Although BYU started strong, they coudln't hold on to the lead. The Rebels won the next five straight singles matches to earn the overall victory.
The Cougars look to bounce back Saturday monring at 10 a.m. PST against Iowa State.
1. Batta/Pavlovic (UNLV) def. Sheehan-Dizon/N. Tran (BYU) 8-3
2. Anderson/Maddox (BYU) def. Erasmus/Josifoska (UNLV) 8-6
3. Paul/D. Tran (BYU) def. Kotseva/Ferenczi-Bako (UNLV) 8-2
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
1. #19 Aleksandra Josifoska (UNLV) def. Desiree Tran (BYU) 6-2, 6-1
2. Lucia Batta (UNLV) def. Morgan Anderson (BYU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Nives Pavlovic (UNLV) def. Meghan Sheehan-Dizon (BYU) 7-5, 6-1
4. Nicolette Tran (BYU) def. Anett Ferenczi-Bako (UNLV) 6-2, 6-2
5. Janine Erasmus (UNLV) def. Mackenna Maddox (BYU) 7-5, 6-0
6. Iren Kotseva (UNLV) def. Aubrey Paul (BYU) 6-3, 3-6, 6-0
Order of finish: 4, 2, 1, 3, 5, 6
PROVO, Utah – The undefeated BYU women’s tennis team faces its first road test of the season as the Cougars play No. 67 UNLV on Friday and Iowa State on Saturday. Both matches will be played in Las Vegas at the Fertitta Tennis Complex and start at 10 a.m. PST.
No. 67 UNLV (4-3) earned wins over Southern Utah and Weber State. No. 19 Aleksandra Josifoska will play at the No. 1 singles position. The Cougars lead the series against the Rebels, 21-6.
The first meeting between BYU and Iowa State (1-3) will be the Cyclones’ third-straight road match.
The Cougars return home to host the Utah Utes on March 2.