Fertitta Tennis Complex
4505 S Maryland Pkwy Las Vegas NV 89119
LAS VEGAS – The BYU women’s tennis team wrapped up its Las Vegas road trip with a 5-2 win over Iowa State on Saturday at the Fertitta Tennis Complex.
“The girls bounced back today and played solid tennis,” BYU head coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said. “It was important for us to use yesterday as a learning experience and to keep a positive attitude moving forward.”
The Cougars (5-1) got their first-ever victory against Iowa State (1-4) and their first road win of the season.
Desiree Tran played at the No. 1 singles position for just she second time this year. The junior from California won the battle on Court 1 against Simona Cacciuttolo 6-3, 6-2.
On Court 3, Sheehan-Dizon gave BYU another point as the earned a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Ana Gasparovic.
The last two Cougar points came on Courts 5 and 6 as Maddox and Paul each defeated their opponents decisively.
BYU returns home next week to host in-state rival Utah on Saturday at the BYU Indoor Tennis Courts. The match is slated to start at 11 a.m. MST.
1. Sheehan-Dizon/N. Tran (BYU) def. Langhorst/Pronina (ISU) 8-4
2. Maddox/Anderson (BYU) def. Cacciuttolo/Anderson (ISU) 8-6
3. D. Tran/Paul (BYU) def. Cassens/Gasparovic (ISU) 8-3
1. Desiree Tran (BYU) def. Simona Cacciuttolo (ISU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Ksenia Pronina (ISU) def. Morgan Anderson (BYU) 3-6, 6-4, 6-2
3. Meghan Sheehan-Dizon (BYU) def. Ana Gasparovic (ISU) 6-1, 6-2
4. Meghan Cassens (ISU) def. Nicolette Tran (BYU) 7-5, 3-6, 1-0 (10-2)
5. Mackenna Maddox (BYU) def. Jenna Langhorst (ISU) 6-0, 6-3
6. Aubrey Paul (BYU) def. Emma Waites (ISU) 6-1, 6-2
PROVO, Utah – The undefeated BYU women’s tennis team faces its first road test of the season as the Cougars play No. 67 UNLV on Friday and Iowa State on Saturday. Both matches will be played in Las Vegas at the Fertitta Tennis Complex and start at 10 a.m. PST.
No. 67 UNLV (4-3) earned wins over Southern Utah and Weber State. No. 19 Aleksandra Josifoska will play at the No. 1 singles position. The Cougars lead the series against the Rebels, 21-6.
The first meeting between BYU and Iowa State (1-3) will be the Cyclones’ third-straight road match.
The Cougars return home to host the Utah Utes on March 2.