HONOLULU - After a tough loss Thursday, the BYU women's tennis team bounced back to earn a 4-3 victory over the University of Hawaiii on Saturday at the UH Tennis Courts.
"I'm really proud of the way we played today," BYU head coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said. "The girls came out strong in doubles which helped us moving into singles. This is a great win to give us momentum moving into conference matches."
With the win, the Cougars (6-5) improve their all-time record to 6-0 against the Rainbow Wahine (3-8).
Sophomore Meghan Sheehan-Dizon and freshman Nicolette Tran started the match with a decisive 8-3 victory over Katarina Poljakova and Paulina Petriskova on court 1.The duo of Morgan Anderson and Mackenna Maddox topped Rebecca Faltusz and Martina Kostalova 8-4.
Sheehan-Dizon carried the momentum into singles play by defeating Petriskova 6-1, 6-3 on court 3. Hawaiii then earned its first point as Anderson fell to Poljakova 6-3, 6-0.
Throughout the last four matches, both teams alternated wins. Paul won on court 6, 6-4, 6-4 over Faltusz before Desiree Tran lost on court 1.
Maddox came from behind one set to earn a 1-6, 7-5, 6-4 win and clinch the fourth point for BYU.
The Cougars return home Wednesday to host Portland at 10 a.m. MDT for its first conference match of the season.
1. Sheehan-Dizon/N. Tran (BYU) def. Petriskova/Poljakova (UH) 8-3
2. Anderson/Maddox (BYU) def. Faltusz/Kostalova(UH) 8-4
3. Paul/D. Tran (BYU) def. Suworowa/Daguio (UH) 9-8(4)
1. Xenia Suworowa (UH) def. Desiree Tran (BYU) 7-6(5), 6-2
2. Katarina Poljakova (UH) def. Morgan Anderson (BYU) 6-3, 6-0
3. Meghan Sheehan-Dizon (BYU) def. Paulina Petriskova (UH) 6-1, 6-3
4. Martina Kostalova (UH) def. Nicolette Tran (BYU) 1-6, 6-3, 6-4
5. Mackenna Maddox (BYU) def. Kelsey Daguio (UH) 1-6, 7-5, 6-4
6. Aubrey Paul (BYU) def. Rebecca Faltusz (UH) 6-4, 6-4
Order of finish: 3, 2, 6, 1, 5, 4