Cougarette Auditions — April 30-May 1st, 2021
BYU Cougarette Auditions 2021 *UPDATE*
April 30-May 1st, 2021
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic and in collaboration with the University, the Church Educational System and government health recommendations to limit human interaction, BYU Cougarette auditions was held virtually in 2020. We are so happy to ANNOUNCE that we will be holding auditions IN-PERSON auditions at BYU this year.
Dancers auditioning need to email a PDF or JPEG of their negative test results, taken within 5 days of auditioning, and email it to email@example.com. If a dancer has a positive test, they must also email so she can receive instructions on how to participate in the audition virtually.
The Cougarettes are a competitive dance team. We are looking for elite level technicians, entertaining and strong performers and collegiate professionalism. BYU Cougarettes represent the Athletic Department, the University and especially The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. We need representatives who are mature, articulate, and who love the art of dance, performance and competition.
In order to audition you must be accepted to BYU. Late submissions will not be accepted. Please wear modest dance attire and comfortable dance shoes/socks.
Each Cougarette receives some scholarship money. Those monies will be distributed to the team members based on leadership and years on the team.
Submission Deadline — Thursday, April 29, 2021 by 5pm.
All applicants must submit the following checklist items before the deadline in order to audition for BYU Cougarettes.
- Complete the Cougarette Audition Online Application
- The following information must be uploaded to the online application before submitting:
- Headshot — attach in PDF format
- Dance Resume — attach in PDF format
- Cougarette Release-Waiver Form — download, complete and attach in PDF format
- Pre-Participation Physical Exam Form — all applicants must have a physical and medical release form completed and signed in order to audition
- Physical Exam — If you are having a difficult time getting into a doctor, we can help arrange for a physical at BYU for $25. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Covid-19 NEGATIVE test within 5 days of auditioning — email test results to
- $40 audition fee receipt
- Directions how to pay audition fee...
- Call 801-422-2097
- Ask for MINDY HORNE
- Specify that you are calling to pay the "Cougarette Audition" fee
- Provide credit card or debit card information
- Provide an email and request a receipt
- Attach the digital receipt to the email application as a proof of payment
- Provide two letters of recommendation — sent separately via email to email@example.com from your dance references (someone who has worked with you in a dance capacity). Click if you are interested in downloading an optional letter of recommendation template.
We will be following all CDC guidelines to keep all auditioning dancers safe and socially distanced. Masks will be worn, temperatures checked, sanitizer and hand washing encouraged throughout the audition process.
APRIL 30th, 2021 - 12-8pm
MAY 1st, 2021 - 9am-5pm
First Round — Technique Auditions
- Legs combo (Battements, extensions, leg hold turns)
- Turns combo (Chaines, Piques, Pirouettes & variations of fouetté technique)
- Leaps combo
- Aerials and tricks: Right and left side aerial, kip-up, headspring to stand, rubber-band and any other proficient trick or gymnastic skill
- Advanced specialty turn combo in center, dancer’s choice, three sets of eight
Second Round — Routine Auditions
- Jazz combo
- Hip Hop combo
- One-minute solo routine, use appropriate music with clean lyrics
- Specialty skills (if needed, by request of the judges)
Third Round — Interview and call backs
- May be asked to perform solo, certain skills, jazz or hip hop combo.
ANNOUNCEMENT OF THE 2021-2022 COUGARETTE TEAM
Tuesday, May 4
Each person who auditioned will be contacted individually via email and informed if they made the 2020-21 Cougarette Team or not.