BOISE, Idaho – Junior Mayci Jones recorded wins at the top singles and doubles spots to help BYU defeat Boise State, 6-1, Friday at the Appleton Tennis Center in Boise.
"The girls did a great job in doubles to get us an early lead," BYU head coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said. "After that we fought hard in singles and earned a great win on the road."
Jones and junior Toby Miclat clinched the doubles point for BYU (3-8, 1-1) with a 6-2 victory over the Broncos' (4-6, 0-0) Naomi de Hart and Megan LaLone after senior Nicolette Poulsen and junior Savannah Ware won at No. 2 doubles 6-1 over BSU's Milena Toseva and Hanna Kantenwein.
In singles play, the Cougars continued to dominate. Freshman Taylah Beckman finished first at No. 6 singles, winning 6-2, 6-1, against Ari Paules Aldrey. Natella Nabieva won the next match 6-1, 2-6, 6-0, at No. 4 singles before Jones clinched the match with a victory at first singles for the Cougars with a 6-2, 6-4 win over the Broncos' Teal Vosburg.
Miclat won at second singles with a 4-6, 7-4, 2-1 (7-5) victory over Kantenwein while Poulsen dropped the No. 3 singles matchup, 6-3, 2-6, 5-7 to the Broncos' Bobby Oshiro. Ware pulled out a three-set victory over LaLone winning 4-6, 7-6, 16-14, at No. 5 singles.
BYU stays in Boise to face UNLV Saturday at 10 a.m. MST. Fans can follow the matches live by using the links on the BYU schedule page.
BYU 6 Boise State 1
1. Jones/Miclat (BYU) def. de Hart/LaLone (Boise State) 6-2
2. Poulsen/Ware (BYU) def. Kantenwein/Toseva (Boise State) 6-1
3. Paules Aldrey/Oshiro (Boise State) vs. Nabieva/Beckman (BYU) DNF (3-4)
Order of Finish: (2, 1)
1. Mayci Jones (BYU) def. Teal Vosburgh (Boise State) 6-2, 6-4
2. Toby Miclat (BYU) def. Hanna Kantenwein (Boise State) 4-6, 7-5, 2-1 (7-5)
3. Bobbi Oshiro (Boise State) def. Nicolette Poulsen (BYU) 3-6, 6-2, 7-5
4. Natella Nabieva (BYU) def. Milena Toseva (Boise State) 6-1, 2-6, 6-0
5. Savannah Ware (BYU) def. Megan LaLone (Boise State) 4-6, 7-6, 16-14
6. Taylah Beckman (BYU) def. Arianna Paules Aldrey (Boise State) 6-2, 6-1
Order of Finish: (6, 4, 1, 2, 3, 5)