EUGENE, Ore. – Senior Keaton Cullimore highlighted BYU’s performance as the Cougars fell to No. 23 Oregon 7-0 on Friday night at the Student Tennis Center in Eugene, Oregon.
“It’s good for us to play top-ranked teams like Oregon,” BYU head coach Brad Pearce said. “They have good players and are well coached. I was proud of the way our guys battled; these kinds of matches will force us to play at a higher level of tennis. We’ll regroup and come out fighting against Drake tomorrow.”
Oregon (9-2, 0-0 Pac-12) jumped out to an early lead over BYU (7-6, 1-0 WCC) by taking the doubles point. Aidan Carrazedo and Sam Tullis fell to Simon Stevens and Akihiro Tanaka 6-1, while Jacob Sullivan and Jeremy Bourgeois dropped their match 6-1 to No. 39 Jayson Amos and Armando Soemarno at first doubles.
At the No. 2 slot, John Pearce and Cullimore put up a fight, sending their match against No. 47 Cormac Clissold and Thomas Laurent into a tiebreak before the Ducks won 6-5(9).
The Ducks continued to dominate in singles play. Tanaka defeated Matthew Pearce 6-3, 6-1 at No. 3 singles before Bourgeois fell 6-4, 6-3 to Amos at the No. 4 slot. Ty Gentry took down Carrazedo 6-4, 6-1 followed by another Oregon victory as Sullivan lost his match to Stevens, 6-2, 6-4 at second singles. At No. 5 singles, John Pearce’s match was retired during the second set.
Cullimore once again fought hard as he came back to win his second set but ultimately fell to No. 36 Laurent 6-0, 5-7, 6-2 at No. 1 singles.
BYU faces off against No. 42 Drake on Saturday at 2 p.m. PST at the Student Tennis Center.
Oregon 7, BYU 0
- No. 39 Amos/A. Soemarno (Oregon) def. Sullivan/Bourgeois (BYU) 6-1
- No. 47 Clissold/Laurent (Oregon) def. J. Pearce/Cullimore (BYU) 6-5(9-7)
- Stevens/Tanaka (Oregon) def. Carrazedo/Tullis (BYU) 6-1
Order of finish: (3,1,2)
- No. 36 Laurent (Oregon) def. Cullimore (BYU) 6-0, 5-7, 6-2
- Stevens (Oregon) def. Sullivan (BYU) 6-2, 6-4
- Tanaka (Oregon) def. M. Pearce (BYU) 6-3, 6-1
- Amos (Oregon) def. Bourgeois (BYU) 6-4, 6-3
- Clissold (Oregon) def. J. Pearce (BYU) 7-6(9-7), 3-2 (ret.)
- Gentry (Oregon) def. Carrazedo (BYU) 6-4, 6-1
Order of finish: (3,4,6,2,5,1)