PROVO, Utah – The BYU women’s tennis team claimed a 4-0 sweep over New Mexico at home Saturday.
"The girls took care of business today," Head Coach Holly Parkinson Hasler said. "Doubles was the key for our team this weekend. The chemistry of our teams is coming together nicely, and I was excited to see more belief and conviction in finishing points at the net. Overall, the weekend was a great confidence builder to prepare us for Fresno next week."
BYU extended its winning record to 3-1 while New Mexico is now 2-3 on the year.
The Cougars took a solid lead after winning the No. 3 and No. 1 doubles matches. Taylah Beckman and Samantha Smith took quick and commanding control of their match to win against New Mexico’s Bronte Murgett and Natasha Munday, 6-1. BYU’s Kate Cusick and Alina Menshykova then added to the momentum, clinching the doubles point in a 6-3 victory over Ruth Copas and Danielle Quevedo. Polina Malykh and Madeline Almeida left an unfinished No. 2 doubles match in the lead, 5-2, against the Lobos’ Hsiang-Wen Huang and Yue Lin Chen.
With a 1-0 BYU lead, Cusick faced off against New Mexico’s Copas to take a 6-2, 6-2, victory in No. 1 singles. Quickly after, the Cougars’ Malykh ended her match with a 6-2, 6-4, win over Murgett in No. 2 singles. To claim the fourth point, BYU’s Smith fought to take her match at a 7-5, 6-3, advantage over the Lobos’ Huang in No. 3 singles.
The Cougar’s Almeida left a No. 4 singles match in the lead, 6-4, 5-2, against New Mexico’s Danielle Quevedo, while Beckman and Menshykova left their No. 5 and No. 6 matches completely unfinished.
BYU next faces off against Fresno State in California on Friday, Feb. 15, at 5 p.m. PST. Matches will take place at the Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center, and live stats will be available on the Fresno State schedule page.
- Kate Cusick/Alina Menshykova (BYU) def. Ruth Copas/Danielle Quevedo (UNM) 6-3
- Madeline Almeida/Polina Malykh (BYU) vs. Hsiang-Wen Huang/Yue Lin Chen (UNM) 5-2, unfinished
- Samantha Smith/Taylah Beckman (BYU) def. Bronte Murgett/Natasha Munday (UNM) 6-1
- Kate Cusick (BYU) def. Ruth Copas (UNM) 6-2, 6-2
- Polina Malykh (BYU) def. Bronte Murgett (UNM) 6-2, 6-4
- Samantha Smith (BYU) def. Hsiang-Wen Huang (UNM) 7-5, 6-3
- Madeline Almeida (BYU) vs. Danielle Quevedo (UNM) 6-4, 5-2, unfinished
- Taylah Beckman (BYU) vs. Natasha Munday (UNM), unfinished
- Alina Menshykova (BYU) vs. Yue Lin Chen (UNM), unfinished
Follow the Cougars
Facebook: BYU Women’s Tennis