LOS ANGELES – No. 38 BYU men's tennis fell 4-3 to West Coast Conference foe Loyola Marymount on Friday.
"We paid the price to get here early to make the adjustment – and did everything right in our preparation," BYU head coach Brad Pearce said. "We secured the doubles point, but the fact that we only got one singles win today shows that we need to be better tomorrow. This team has bounced back and been resilient this season. I'm looking forward to that tomorrow."
The Cougars (17-4, 6-2) came out tough against the Lions (6-12, 4-2) to win the doubles point.
Sean Hill and Jeffrey Hsu claimed a 6-2 victory over Lukas Moenter and Thien Nguyen at No. 1 doubles. At No. 2 doubles, Sam Tullis and Ben Gajardo defeated Nick Borchenko and Ethan Prost 6-3, to remain undefeated as a double duo.
LMU came back to win three consecutive singles matches. Hill fell to Lukas Moenter 3-6, 1-6 at No. 1 singles. At No. 4 singles, Tullis was bested by Lucas Moreno in straight sets 3-6, 4-6. Mateo Vereau Melendez battled hard at No. 3 singles but lost to Diego Nava 5-7, 3-6.
Matthew Pearce stepped up at No. 6 singles to defeat Austin Di Guilio 6-3, 6-4 for the second Cougar point of the match.
At No. 5 singles, Gajardo fell to Max Kaiser in a close 6-1, 3-6, 4-6 match.
The Cougars remain on the road to face Pepperdine tomorrow at 1 p.m. PDT. Links to live stats and a live stream are available on the men’s tennis schedule page.
#38 BYU 2, LMU 4
- Sean Hill/Jeffrey Hsu (BYU) def. Lukas Moenter/Thien Nguyen (LMU) 6-2
- Jacob Tullis/Ben Gajardo (BYU) def. Nick Borchenko/Ethan Prost (LMU) 6-3
- Ryan Brown/Diego Nava (LMU) vs. Matthew Pearce/Mateo Vereau (BYU) 5-3, unfinished
Order of finish: (1, 2)
- Lukas Moenter (LMU) def. Sean Hill (BYU) 6-3, 6-1
- Nick Borchenko (LMU) vs. Jeffrey Hsu (BYU) 6-7, 7-6, unfinished
- Diego Nava (LMU) def. Mateo Vereau (BYU) 7-5, 6-3
- Lucas Moreno (LMU) def. Sam Tullis (BYU) 6-3, 6-4
- Max Kaiser (LMU) def. Ben Gajardo (BYU) 1-6, 6-3, 6-4
- Matthew Pearce (BYU) def. Austin Di Giulio (LMU) 6-3, 6-4
Order of finish: (1, 4, 3, 6, 5)