PROVO, Utah – BYU men’s tennis comes out on top of University of Idaho in a 4-2 win on Wednesday night at the BYU Indoor Tennis Courts.
“We are happy to be home and get a win,” said head coach Dave Porter. “It was a little tougher match than we thought, playing without three players. We started out with a good doubles point and let a couple slip away, but our guys stepped up and were able to get one when we needed it. We are excited about our next home match on Saturday at 1 p.m. and hope we have a lot of fans come out to support.”
Doubles duo, Wally Thayne and Tennyson Whiting came out strong with a 6-3 win over their Vandal opponents at No. 1 doubles. With close matches at both No. 2 and 3 singles, the Cougars battled for the doubles point. At No. 2 doubles senior Matheus Leite and junior Mateo Vereau secure the win and doubles point coming out on top at 7-5.
Leading by one point, both No. 1 and 4 BYU singles take the first sets by strong scores of 6-2. Thayne at No. 1 singles dominates in his second set, 6-1, to earn the second point for the Cougars. To put BYU up by 3, Jakovljevic also took the win in a second set tiebreaker 7-5 (5) at No. 4 singles.
BYU split sets at No. 2, 3 and 5 singles with Leite and Vereau falling to give the Vandals their first and second point. At No. 6 singles, Lin takes the first set on an ace 6-2, following a 6-3 win in the second set to earn the Cougars their 4-2 win over the Vandals.
The Cougars will play home again on Saturday in their first conference match of the season against Portland. The match is scheduled to begin at 1 p.m. MDT on the BYU outdoor tennis courts.
- Wally Thayne (BYU) def. Francisco Gay (IDA) 6-2, 6-1
- Francisco Bascon (IDA) def. Matheus Leite (BYU) 4-6, 6-2, 6-2
- Bruno Casino (IDA) def. Mateo Vereau (BYU) 6-3, 3-6, 7-5
- Dominik Jackovljevic (BYU) def. Matteo Masala (IDA) 6-2, 7-6 (5)
- Otto Schreiner (BYU) vs. Mario Duron Garza (IDA) 6-7 (4), 6-3, 1-2 unf.
- Alex Lin (BYU) def. Vivek Ramesh (IDA) 6-2, 6-3
- Wally Thayne and Tennyson Whiting (BYU) def. Francisco Brown and Bruno Casino (IDA) 6-3
- Matheus Leite and Mateo Vereau (BYU) def. Matteo Masala and Alex Asenov (IDA) 7-5
- Otto Schreiner and Alex Lin (BYU) vs. Francisco Gay and Mario Duron Garza (IDA) 4-4 unf.