PROVO, Utah – A four-match homestand will continue for BYU men’s tennis this weekend when the Cougars host San Francisco on Friday and Santa Clara on Saturday. Both contests will further West Coast Conference play, where BYU is 2-2.
Friday's match begins at 10:30 a.m. MDT and will be played at the BYU Indoor Tennis Courts. Saturday's action gets underway at 11:00 a.m. MDT from the Outdoor Tennis Courts.
- Wally Thayne is ranked No. 123 nationally in singles and was named last week’s West Coast Conference University Credit Union Singles Player of the Week.
- Thayne defeated the No. 5 singles player in the country, Nishesh Basavareddy, against No. 20 Stanford, good for the biggest ranked win in BYU men’s tennis history since at least 1997 when digital records began. He also defeated No. 69 Iiro Vasa in a match with No. 27 San Diego.
- Zach Fuchs also earned a ranked win last week, defeating No. 59 Samir Banerjee from Stanford.
San Francisco Notes
- The Dons are 2-13 this season, including 0-5 in WCC play.
- USF played its first home matches of the year last weekend with contests against Gonzaga and Portland.
- Head coach JT Sundling is in his second season at the helm. He previously spent two seasons as an assistant with the team.
- Series Record: BYU leads 12-2
- Last Meeting: San Francisco won 4-0 on April 8, 2022, in San Francisco, California
Santa Clara Notes
- The Broncos are 11-7 this season, including 3-2 in WCC play.
- Santa Clara upset No. 65 Gonzaga on Saturday with a 4-3 win at home.
- All eight Santa Clara players are upperclassmen, and seven of them are fourth or fifth-year seniors.
- Christian Lerby is 12-1 at No. 3 singles and has won seven in a row.
- Series Record: BYU leads 9-7
- Last Meeting: Santa Clara won 4-1 on April 9, 2022, in Santa Clara, California