BYU basketball will look to build on its season opening win against Princeton when the Cougars host Coppin State Thursday at 7 p.m. MST in the Marriott Center. The Cougars defeated Princeton 82-73 behind Eric Mika's double-double of 26 points and 18 rebounds.
Thursday's game will be televised live on BYUtv as part of the MGM Grand Main Event and broadcast live on the Cougar IMG Sports Network, 102.7 FM/1160 AM and BYU Radio – Sirius XM 143. Live video streaming will be available on BYUtv.org.
The 2016-17 season is BYU’s 12th under coach Dave Rose, the program’s all-time leader in winning percentage at 74.2. Rose is also second all-time in Cougar history with 284 career wins. He has led the Cougars to 11-straight 20-win seasons and 11-straight postseason appearances.
In Monday’s 82-73 win over Princeton, 60 of BYU’s points were scored by players who were not on the active roster in 2015-16. Sophomore Eric Mika (26 points) and freshman TJ Haws (20) scored 46 of those 60 points while Nick Emery (15) and Kyle Davis (7) combined for the 22 points scored by returning players.
Eric Mika made a splash in his first game since serving a mission for the LDS church, setting career highs in points (26) and rebounds (18) while tying the BYU record for offensive rebounds with nine.
BYU Cougars (1-0, 0-0 WCC)
- Head Coach: Dave Rose
- Alma Mater: Houston, 1983
- Division I Career Record: 284-99 (12th)
- Record at BYU: Same
Coppin State Eagles (0-3, 0-0 MEAC)
- Head Coach: Michael Grant
- Alma Mater: Malone, 1984
- Career Record: 269-246 (18th)
- Record at Coppin State: 17-48 (3rd)
- TV: BYUtv
- TV Talent: Dave McCann (play-by-play), Steve Cleveland (analyst), Spencer Linton (courtside)
- Live Video: BYUtv.org
- Radio: Cougar IMG Sports Network, 102.7 FM/1160 AM, BYU Radio, Sirius XM 143
- Radio Talent: Robbie Bullough (play-by-play), Mark Durrant (analyst)
- Live Stats: BYUcougars.com
- Series Record: First meeting
- Last Meeting: First meeting
- H/A/N: 0-0/0-0/0-0
BYU men’s basketball (20-7, 10-3 WCC) was defeated by UCLA (19-9, 13-6 Pac-12), 73-62, in the First Round of the NCAA…
The following notes are from BYU's 73-62 loss to UCLA on Saturday, March 20, 2021, at Hinkle Fieldhouse.s
BYU men’s basketball will face UCLA (18-9, 13-6) in the first round of the NCAA Tournament at the Hinkle Fieldhouse in…
BYU senior guard Alex Barcello was named one of 42 players nationwide to receive the honorable mention honors on…