BYU hosts Utah Saturday in 261st meeting of the rivalry
PROVO, Utah – BYU men’s basketball takes on rival University of Utah on Saturday, Dec. 12, at 4:00 p.m. MST in the Marriott Center.
The game will be televised live on BYUtv (DirecTV: 374, DISH: 9403) and the BYUtv app. The game will also be broadcast live on the BYU Sports Network on BYU Radio – Sirius XM 143/89.1 FM HD2 and KSL 102.7 FM/1160 AM.
BYU Notes (5-2, 0-0 West Coast Conference)
- The Cougars are off to a 5-2 start and are 3-1 at the Marriott Center.
- BYU is led by Alex Barcello who is averaging 19.6 points and 3.3 assists per game. Barcello has scored 137 points in seven games and as of Dec. 9 was leading the nation in points scored. He is shooting a blistering 62.9% from three and 62% from the field.
- Barcello is now 75 of 144 from beyond the arc (52.1%) in his BYU career. He is currently the Cougars all time three-point percentage leader at 52.1%. Nate Call is second at 45.6%.
- Purdue transfer Matt Haarms has started the last four games for BYU, grabbing 15 rebounds and blocking 12 shots. Haarms is BYU’s second leading scorer averaging 10.2 points per game over five games after missing the first two games due to injury.
- BYU and Utah last met during the 2019-20 season in Salt Lake City, with Utah winning 102-95 in overtime.
- The two schools have met 260 times. BYU leads the overall series 131-129 and has won 13 of the last 18 meetings.
Head Coach – Mark Pope
- Alma Mater: Kentucky, 1996
- Division I Career Record: 106-66 (5th)
- Record at BYU: 29-10 (2nd)
Utah (2-0, 0-0 Pac-12)
- The Utes are 2-0 to begin the season with wins over Washington (76-62) and Idaho State (75-59).
- Timmy Allen, Utah’s leading scorer from last season is back having averaged 17.3 points and 7.3 rebounds per game in 2019-20.
- The Utes return 85.7% of its scoring from last year’s roster. Where the Cougars only returns 29% of its scoring from a season ago.
- Entering the week, two Utes were statistically among the top-25 individually. Mikael Jantunen is fourth in the nation in offensive rebounds per game (4) and fifth in field goal percentage (.833), while Alfonso Plummer in fifth in steals per game (5) and 10th in 3-point field goals made (4).
Head Coach – Larry Krystkowiak
- Alma Mater: Montana, 1996
- Division I Career Record: 215-146 (12th Season)
- Record at Utah: 173-126 (10th Season)
- Last Meeting: Utah won 102-95 in overtime, 12/04/2019
- TV: BYUtv (DirecTV: 374, DISH: 9403)
- TV Talent: Dave McCann (play-by-play), Blaine Fowler (analyst), Spencer Linton (courtside)
- Live Video: BYUtv App
- Radio: BYU Sports Network, BYU Radio Sirius XM 143/89.1 FM HD2, KSL 102.7 FM/1160 AM
- Radio Talent: Greg Wrubell (play-by-play), Mark Durrant(analyst)
- Live Stats: BYUcougars.com
- Series Record: BYU leads 131-129
- Last Meeting: Utah won in Salt Lake City 102-95 OT, 12/04/19
- H/A/N: 75-49/49-75/7-5