BYU to Take on Gonzaga at Home Monday Night
PROVO, Utah – BYU men’s basketball will face No. 1 Gonzaga (18-0, 9-0) Monday night at the Marriott Center. The Cougars are coming off of a dominant victory at Portland on Thursday, 105-60.
The game will be broadcast on ESPN at 9 p.m. PST. It will also be broadcast live on the BYU Sports Network on BYU Radio – Sirius XM 143/89.1 FM HD2 and KSL 102.7 FM/1160 AM.
BYU Notes (15-4, 6-2 West Coast Conference)
- The Cougars are 15-4, most recently defeating Portland 105-60 at Portland.
- BYU is No. 2 in the WCC standings.
- BYU has wins over Portland (twice), Pacific, Pepperdine, San Francisco, Saint Mary’s, Weber State, Texas Southern, No. 18 San Diego State, Utah, Utah State, St. John’s, Utah Valley, New Orleans and Westminster. The four losses were to USC, Boise State, No. 1 Gonzaga and Pepperdine.
- BYU is led by senior guard Alex Barcello who is averaging 15.2 points, 4.6 assists and 4.6 rebounds per game. Barcello has been among the top three-point shooters in the nation this season, but has cooled off a bit recently. He was a driving force behind BYU’s last few wins, flirting with a possible triple double recently with 22 points, nine rebounds and seven assists against Pacific.
- Matt Haarms and Brandon Averette, BYU’s other two senior leaders along with Barcello, are the next behind Barcello in scoring with 11.5 and 11.3 points per game respectively.
- BYU’s bench production has been big this season, outscoring opponents in 17 of 19 games played.
- BYU has never lost back-to-back games in the Mark Pope era and has the third-longest active streak of games played without consecutive losses at 53. The two teams above them are Houston (119) and Gonzaga (76).
Head Coach – Mark Pope
- Alma Mater: Kentucky, 1996
- Division I Career Record: 116-68 (6th season)
- Record at BYU: 39-12 (2nd season)
Gonzaga Notes (18-0, 9-0 West Coast Conference)
- Gonzaga is 18-0, with its most recent victory coming over Pacific, 76-58. The Bulldogs trailed the Tigers in the second half, but Gonzaga pulled away late.
- Gonzaga is No. 1 in the WCC standings and No. 1 in the nation. They have been so for all 11 weeks of competition this season.
- The Bulldogs have the nation’s longest active winning streak at 22 games, dating back to last season. Their last loss was in Provo to BYU.
- The Bulldogs have marquee victories this season over four teams who were ranked at the time — No. 3 Iowa, No. 6 Kansas, No. 11 West Virginia, No. 16 Virginia.
- Gonzaga is first in the nation in scoring offense, averaging 93.3 points per game. They are also first in field goal percentage (55.1 percent), and two-point percentage (64.8 percent).
- The Bulldogs have four players averaging double digits in scoring — Corey Kispert (19.9), Drew Timme (18.8), Jalen Suggs (13.8), Joel Ayayi (11.7).
- Timme (second time) and Suggs (seventh time) were named the WCC Player and Freshman of the Week for their performances last week.
Head Coach – Mark Few
- Alma Mater: Oregon, 1987
- Division I Career Record: 617-124 (22nd Season)
- Record at Gonzaga: 617-124 (22nd Season)
- All-Time Series: Gonzaga leads 19-7
- Last Meeting: Gonzaga won 86-69 on Jan. 7 in Spokane
- Last Meeting in Provo: BYU won 91-78 on last season’s senior night, behind 28 points from Yoeli Childs
- TV: ESPN
- TV Talent: Dave Flemming (play-by-play), Sean Farnham (analyst)
- Radio: BYU Sports Network, BYU Radio Sirius XM 143/89.1 FM HD2, KSL 102.7 FM/1160 AM
- Streamed Audio: BYURadio.org, BYUCougars.com/LiveRadio and the BYU Radio, BYUCougars and BYU Gameday apps
- Radio Talent: Greg Wrubell (play-by-play), Mark Durrant (analyst)
- Live Stats: BYUCougars.com
BYU men's basketball has released its full 2021-22 men's basketball schedule on Tuesday.
BYU men’s basketball will hold walk-on tryouts on Sept. 18 from 8-10 a.m. MDT in the Marriott Center.
The West Coast Conference released its 2021-22 men's basketball conference schedule on Wednesday.
BYU men’s basketball head coach Mark Pope announced today that junior guard Seneca Knight will join the team as a…