BYU at Santa Clara: Game Notes and Quotes
- Noah Hartsock scored 21 points on 8 of 14 shooting. It was his 11th game with 20 or more points this year and 27th in double figures. He added 5 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals and 1 block.
- Brandon Davies pitched in 20 points on 6 of 7 shooting from the field and made 8 of 11 free throws. Davies has scored in double figures 23 times this year and in 16 of his last 17 games. He also had 3 rebounds and 2 blocks.
- Charles Abouo scored 12 of his 14 total points after halftime. The senior added 8 rebounds, 4 assists and 1 steal.
- Brock Zylstra came off the bench and chipped in 12 points, going 5 of 6 from the field. The junior added 5 boards, 1 assist and 1 block.
- Dave Rose went with a starting lineup of Matt Carlino, Anson Winder, Charles Abouo, Noah Hartsock and Brandon Davies.
- BYU assisted on 23 of 31 makes on the night, good for 74.2 percent of its baskets.
- The Cougars shot 31 of 53 from the field for a season-high 58.5 percent.
- BYU had two players with at least 20 points and four in double figures for the game. Hartsock led with 21 points and Davies had 20 while Abouo chipped in 14 and Brock Zylstra had 12 points.
- The Cougars held a big advantage in the paint, outscoring Santa Clara 44-16. The team also out-ran the Broncos on the fast break, outscoring them 14-0.
- BYU won its 5th-straight game and 7th-straight road game this season.
- Santa Clara used a 7-0 run to take a 7-4 lead before BYU answered with 3-straight buckets to retake the lead 10-7 with just over 13:50 remaining in the first half.
- Brock Zylstra knocked down the Cougars’ first trey of the game with 8:39 left in the first half to stretch BYU’s lead to 20-15.
- BYU led by as many as 9 points but the Broncos cut it down to just 3 at 34-31 at halftime.
- Davies threw down a dunk with 13:15 to give BYU its first double-digit lead of the game at 50-40.
- The Cougars used a late 9-0 run to push the lead to 80-61 in the final minutes and cruise to a 82-67 victory.
Head coach Dave Rose
"I am really happy with our guys. I think winning on the road is what kind of separates you from a lot of teams. This team has figured out how to do it."
"This was really different from us. We haven’t been on a trip like this for quite a while where we play back-to-back road games with a day off in between and travelling. I was a little bit on edge. Yesterday’s practice, although we got a lot done, it wasn’t anywhere near at the pace I would have liked because we had guys sore and overcoming some injuries. That was probably what you saw more than anything. Our guys responded."
"Give Santa Clara a lot of credit. We got this thing to 9, 10, 11 points three or four times. They would get a time out a dead ball and they would hit a really tough shot."
"I thought our game plan was good, our effort was good, our execution was good. It was just a hard fought game. We were able to really extend the lead at that time in the game where we really like to push the ball."