PROVO, Utah – After enduring five three-set matches and several tie breakers, BYU men’s tennis dropped a tough 4-3 match to New Mexico Friday night at the BYU indoor tennis courts.
“I have to give credit to New Mexico," BYU head coach Brad Pearce said. "It was a hard-fought, great collegiate match. Unfortunately this one didn’t go our way. We got the doubles point, which was a real positive to start the match. On the flip side, we didn’t get it done in third sets.”
The Cougars (6-5, 0-0 WCC) earned an early edge in doubles play as Keaton Cullimore and John Pearce cruised over Bart Van Leijsen and Dominic West, 6-2. Aidan Carrazedo and Sam Tullis followed with a 6-1 victory at third doubles over Rodolfo Jauregui and Sean Baklini.
Senior Jacob Sullivan battled against Ricky Hernandez-Tong to pull out a 3-6, 6-3, 6-2 victory before New Mexico (2-5, 0-0 MWC) fought back to win three consecutive three-set matches. Matthew Pearce and Cullimore fell at fourth and first singles, respectively, while Jeremy Bourgeois dropped his match at the No. 3 slot.
With BYU falling behind, junior John Pearce bested Lawrence Perrin 6-4, 6-4 to come back and tie the match for the Cougars. Tullis then rallied to defeat Jorge Escutia at No. 6 singles but fell in a third-set tie break 7-6(5), 5-7, 7-6(4).
BYU opens conference play against San Francisco Saturday, Feb. 18, at 5:30 p.m. MST. Live stats and a video stream can be found on the men’s tennis schedule page.
New Mexico 4, BYU Men's Tennis 3
- VAN LEIJSEN, Bart (NM) def. CULLIMORE, Keaton (BYU) 7-5, 4-6, 7-6 (7-3)
- SULLIVAN, Jacob (BYU) def. HERNANDEZ-TONG,Ricky (NM) 3-6, 6-3, 6-2
- JAUREGUI, Rodolfo (NM) def. BOURGEOIS, Jeremy (BYU) 4-6, 7-6 (7-4), 7-6 (7-0)
- WEST, Dominic (NM) def. PEARCE, Matthew (BYU) 7-5, 4-6, 6-3
- PEARCE, John (BYU) def. PERRIN, Lawrence (NM) 6-4, 6-4
- ESCUTIA, Jorge (NM) def. TULLIS, Sam (BYU) 7-6 (7-5), 5-7, 7-6 (7-4)
- SULLIVAN, Jacob/BOURGEOIS, Jeremy (BYU) vs. HERNANDEZ-TONG,Ricky/PERRIN, Lawrence (NM) 3-4, unfinished
- CULLIMORE, Keaton/PEARCE, John (BYU) def. VAN LEIJSEN, Bart/WEST, Dominic (NM) 6-2
- CARRAZEDO, Aidan/TULLIS, Sam (BYU) def. JAUREGUI, Rodolfo/BAKLINI, Sean (NM) 6-1
Match Notes: Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (2,4,1,3,5,6)
The BYU men’s tennis team finished the 2020-21 season with a 14-6 record, going 7-1 in West Coast Conference play for a…
Sean Hill, Ben Gajardo, Sam Tullis and Matheus Ferreira Leite were recognized for their success both in the classroom…
BYU men's tennis graduate senior Sean Hill fell to Finn Reynolds of Ole Miss 3-6, 3-6, at the USTA National Campus on…
BYU men's tennis graduate senior Sean Hill, who was originally listed as the No. 2 alternate, will compete in the NCAA…