PROVO, Utah – BYU men’s tennis earned its third-consecutive conference victory as Aidan Carrazedo clinched the 4-3 win over Pacific at the BYU outdoor tennis courts on Saturday.
“I want to give credit to Pacific for coming out here and taking the doubles point,” BYU head coach Brad Pearce said. “They fought hard and didn’t go away. The guys hung in tough and it culminated with Aidan (Carrazedo) getting the win for us. We had to have Jake (Sullivan) step up like he did. Sam (Tullis) got the first on the board and John (Pearce) was down and battled back. I’m proud of the heart and effort of this team. We’ll be ready for San Diego next week.”
With the match tied 3-3, Carrazedo battled back in a third-set tie break for a 5-7, 6-4, 7-6(12) victory over Ross Watson to take home the win for the Cougars.
Pacific (8-9, 1-1 West Coast Conference) took the doubles point over BYU (10-8, 3-0 WCC) as Matthew Pearce and Sam Tullis fell 7-6(4) to Akram El Sallaly and Tadiwa Chinamo on court one. Carrazedo and Jacob Sullivan defeated Alex Giannini and Lance Ngo 6-3 while John Pearce and Keaton Cullimore dropped their match 6-4 to Watson and Miguel Diaz.
BYU responded with two quick singles victories to take the lead. Tullis posted a 6-4, 6-1 win over Bryan Husin at the No. 6 slot followed by a win at No. 2 singles as Sullivan beat Chinamo 7-5, 6-4. Giannini fought back for the Tigers with a three-set victory over Matthew Pearce before John Pearce posted the Cougars’ third singles win with a 5-7, 6-4, 6-3 comeback victory over El Sallaly.
Pacific tied the match as Miguel Diaz ousted Cullimore with a 4-6, 6-2, 6-4 win at No. 1 singles. Carrazedo’s victory then sealed the match 4-3 in BYU’s favor.
The Cougars take on the San Diego Toreros in another conference matchup at home on Saturday, March 25, at 2 p.m. MDT, at the BYU outdoor tennis courts.
BYU Men's Tennis 4, Pacific 3
- Akram El Sallaly/Tadiwa Chinamo (PAC) def. PEARCE, Matthew/TULLIS, Sam (BYU) 7-6 (7-4)
- Ross Watson/Miguel Diaz (PAC) def. PEARCE, John/CULLIMORE, Keaton (BYU) 6-4
- CARRAZEDO, Aidan/SULLIVAN, Jacob (BYU) def. Alex Giannini/Lance Ngo (PAC) 6-3
Order of finish: (3,2,1)
- Miguel Diaz (PAC) def. CULLIMORE, Keaton (BYU) 4-6, 6-2, 6-4
- SULLIVAN, Jacob (BYU) def. Tadiwa Chinamo (PAC) 7-5, 6-4
- Alex Giannini (PAC) def. PEARCE, Matthew (BYU) 6-2, 5-7, 6-2
- PEARCE, John (BYU) def. Akram El Sallaly (PAC) 5-7, 6-4, 6-3
- CARRAZEDO, Aidan (BYU) def. Ross Watson (PAC) 5-7, 6-4, 7-6 (12-10)
- TULLIS, Sam (BYU) def. Bryan Husin (PAC) 6-4, 6-1
Order of finish: (6,2,3,4,1,5)
BYU men's tennis graduate senior Sean Hill, who was originally listed as the No. 2 alternate, will compete in the NCAA…
Three Cougars were named to All-WCC men's tennis teams, the West Coast Conference announced Thursday. Sean Hill earned…
BYU men's tennis sophomore Jack Barnett and senior Ben Gajardo were named the West Coast Conference Doubles Team of the…
BYU men's tennis (14-6, 7-1 WCC) closed out the regular season with a win, beating Loyola Marymount 4-2 at the LMU…