SPOKANE, Wash. – After a tough loss to Portland on Friday, BYU men’s tennis bounced back in conference play with a 4-0 win over Gonzaga at the Stevens Center on Saturday.
"Gonzaga was a gracious host today and fought hard," BYU head coach Brad Pearce said. "We secured the doubles point and played well enough to get the win with our singles play. I was proud of the way we bounced back after a tough match yesterday. We're coming home on a high note! It will be nice to be home next Friday against Saint Mary's for Senior Day."
Sophomore Matthew Pearce and freshman Sam Tullis teamed up for the first win of the day for BYU (12-9, 5-1 West Coast Conference) with a 6-1 victory over Ronzai Saurombe and Simon Homedes-Dualde on court three. Kyle Everly and Vincent Rettke fought back for Gonzaga (6-8, 0-4 WCC) to take down Jacob Sullivan and Aidan Carrazedo 6-4, before Keaton Cullimore and John Pearce pulled out a 7-5 win over Ruadhan O'Sullivan and Sam Fiet to clinch the doubles point.
In singles action, Tullis was first off the court for the Cougars as he finished with a decisive 6-2, 6-2 win over Homedes-Dualde at the No. 6 slot. BYU continued to pull ahead as John Pearce topped Saurombe 6-2, 6-4. Cullimore followed with a 7-5, 6-2 victory over O’Sullivan at No. 1 singles to seal the match 4-0.
BYU returns to Provo to play Saint Mary’s on Friday, April 7, at noon MDT for the Cougars’ final home match of the season.
BYU 4, Gonzaga 0
- PEARCE, John/CULLIMORE, Keaton (BYU) def. O'SULLIVAN, Ruadhan/FEIT, Sam (GON) 7-5
- EVERLY, Kyle/RETTKE, Vincent (GON) def. SULLIVAN, Jacob/CARRAZEDO, Aidan (BYU) 6-4
- PEARCE, Matthew/TULLIS, Sam (BYU) def. SAUROMBE, Ronzai/HOMEDES DUALDE, Simon (GON) 6-1
Order of finish: (3,2,1)
- CULLIMORE, Keaton (BYU) def. O'Sullivan, Ruadhan (GON) 7-5, 6-2
- Rettke, Vincent (GON) vs. SULLIVAN, Jacob (BYU) 7-6 (7-4), 2-3, unfinished
- Feit, Sam (GON) vs. PEARCE, Matthew (BYU) 7-6 (7-5), 5-4, unfinished
- PEARCE, John (BYU) def. Saurombe, Ronzai (GON) 6-2, 6-4
- Everly, Kyle (GON) vs. CARRAZEDO, Aidan (BYU) 5-7, 2-4, unfinished
- TULLIS, Sam (BYU) def. HOMEDES DUALDE, Simon (GON) 6-2, 6-2
Order of finish: (6,4,1)