No. 3 seed BYU (13-12, 6-4 WCC) dropped the doubles point after No. 6 seed Santa Clara (15-6, 5-5 WCC) pulled out victories on courts one and two. Aidan Carrazedo and Sam Tullis finished first with a 6-4 win over Andrew Gu and Kamran Khan, but it wasn’t enough as Sullivan and John Pearce came up short in a close tiebreak, 7-6(5) to Conner Garnett and Vasileios Iliopoulos who clinched the point.
In singles action, Sullivan fought back for the Cougars with a quick 6-2, 6-4 victory over Gu at the No. 1 slot, Sullivan’s first singles match of his collegiate career on court one. The Broncos responded with straight-set wins over Carrazedo and Tullis before Bourgeois earned BYU’s second point of the match, beating Khan 6-4, 6-3, on court six. Santa Clara then secured the match victory with a win over Keaton Cullimore at second singles.
BYU closed out the 2016-17 regular season with a third place conference finish and an overall record of 13-12. Sullivan finished with a team-high 16 singles victories in dual season play.
SCU 4, BYU 2
- Garnett/Iliopoulos (SCU) def. J. Pearce/Sullivan (BYU) 7-6(5)
- Seby/Barajas (SCU) def. Bourgeois/M. Pearce (BYU) 6-4
- Carrazedo/Tullis (BYU) def. Gu/Khan (SCU) 6-4
Order of finish: 3,2,1
- Sullivan (BYU) def. Gu (SCU) 6-2, 6-4
- Seby (SCU) def. Cullimore (BYU) 6-1, 6-4
- Garnett (SCU) vs. J. Pearce (BYU) 6-2, 4-6, 4-2 unfinished
- Barajas (SCU) def. Tullis (BYU) 7-5, 6-2
- Iliopoulos (SCU) def. Carrazedo (BYU) 6-2, 6-2
- Bourgeois (BYU) def. Khan (SCU) 6-4, 6-3
Order of finish: 1,5,4,6,2
In its final two matches of the regular season, BYU men's tennis will travel to California to visit #31 Pepperdine on…
BYU men’s tennis swept San Francisco 4-0 at the Indoor Tennis Courts on Friday, improving to 6-0 in West Coast…
BYU men’s tennis took down rival Utah 4-1 on Senior Day at the Outdoor Tennis Courts on Saturday, extending its win…
BYU men's tennis graduate senior Sean Hill entered the Oracle ITA Division 1 Men's Doubles Rankings on Tuesday, coming…