Hill and Hsu help BYU defeat UNC-Wilmington 5-2
ORLANDO, Fla. – Strong play from Sean Hill and Jeffrey Hsu in singles and doubles helped BYU defeat UNC-Wilmington 5-2 at the USTA National Campus in Orlando, Florida Saturday afternoon.
“We are off to a great start to our season and are excited about the win,” BYU head coach Brad Pearce said. “UNC-Wilmington is a great team who won its conference last year. We came from playing in the altitude to playing in tough conditions in Florida with the cold and wind today, but our team did amazing. We were well-prepared. I hope what the team can take away is that there is no substitute for great preparation and taking care of the things we can control.”
In doubles play, BYU’s Matthew Pearce and David Ball defeated Agustin Savarino and Daniel Groom 7-5 in the No. 3 slot. The Cougars secured the doubles point in first doubles with Sean Hill and Jeffrey Hsu defeating Ignasi De Reuda and Raphael Calzi 7-5.
Building off of the momentum from doubles, BYU won four-straight singles matches. Ben Gajardo, Hill, Hsu and John Pearce earned victories, securing the Cougars a win over the Seahawks. Sam Tullis and M. Pearce fell short in their singles matches.
The Cougars face off against Florida Gulf Coast University Monday, Jan. 15, at 11 a.m. EST at the USTA National Campus in Orlando, Florida. The match will stream live on the USTA National Campus website.
BYU 5, UNC-Wilmington 2
- Hill/Hsu (BYU) def. De Reuda/Calzi (UNC-W) 7-5
- Torres/Morphy (UNC-W) def. S. Tullis/J. Pearce (BYU) 5-6 (DNF)
- M. Pearce/Ball (BYU) def. Savarino/Groom (UNC-W) 6-2
Order of finish: (3,1)
- Hill (BYU) def. Torres (UNC-W) 6-0, 6-1
- Hsu (BYU) def. Savarino (UNC-W) 7-5, 6-3
- De Reuda (UNC-W) def. S. Tullis (BYU) 6-7, 6-3, 10-4
- J. Pearce (BYU) def. Calzi (UNC-W) 6-3, 0-6, 6-3
- Copeland (UNC-W) def. M. Pearce (BYU) 6-2, 4-6, 7-6
- Gajardo (BYU) def. Groom (UNC-W) 6-0, 6-1
Order of finish: (6, 1, 2, 4, 3, 5)