J. Pearce leads No. 48 BYU in 6-1 win over Idaho State
PROVO, Utah – Senior John Pearce led No. 48 BYU men’s tennis in a 6-1 win over Idaho State Saturday afternoon at the Indoor Tennis Courts.
“I want to thank Idaho State for giving us a good battle today—great credit to them and Coach Rodel,” BYU head coach Brad Pearce said. “Our goal for the match was to come out and play a good, solid match at home. There were some bright spots, but we still need to get better. We’re not satisfied with where we’re at in the rankings—we need to get higher. Our record is good, but we need to keep working hard to get better. We’re looking to have a really great week of work going into Pacific.”
BYU (10-1, 1-0 WCC) started trailing behind in doubles across the three lines but came out victorious to claim the doubles point over Idaho State (3-6, 1-2 Big Sky). Matthew Pearce and Jacob Tullis defeated Keegan Sullivan and Francis Filipovich 6-4 in No. 3 doubles. In the No. 1 slot, J. Pearce and Jeffrey Hsu earned a win over David Felix and Peter Trhac 6-4.
Moving into singles play and up 1-0, BYU grabbed wins in the first two finishes. In No. 4 singles, Ben Gajardo defeated Francis Filipovich 6-2, 6-2. Teammate Sam Tullis was victorious 6-2, 6-3 over William Edin. Jeffrey Hsu fell 6-3, 7-6 to David Felix in the No. 2 slot, giving Idaho State its first win of the day.
J. Pearce defeated Peter Trhac 6-4, 3-6, 6-2 in No. 1 singles to give the Cougars their fourth win over the Bengals. In No. 6 singles, David Ball earned a solid 6-3, 6-1 win over Adam Hornby. Matthew Pearce came out on top against Keegan Sullivan 7-6, 6-3 to give BYU a 6-1 win over Idaho State.
The Cougars hit the road for conference play against Pacific on Friday, March 9, at the Nelson Tennis Courts in Stockton, California. Results will be updated on the men’s schedule page.
BYU 6, ISU 1
- PEARCE, John/HSU, Jeffrey (BYU) def. FELIX, David/TRHAC, Peter (ISU) 6-4
- TULLIS, Sam/BALL, David (BYU) vs. EDIN, William/HORNBY, Adam (ISU) 4-5 (DNF)
- PEARCE, Matthew/TULLIS, Jacob (BYU) def. SULLIVAN, Keegan/FILIPOVICH, Francis (ISU) 6-4
Order of finish: (3, 1)
- PEARCE, John (BYU) def. TRHAC, Peter (ISU) 6-4, 3-6, 6-2
- FELIX, David (ISU) def. HSU, Jeffrey (BYU) 6-3, 7-6
- TULLIS, Sam (BYU) def. EDIN, William (ISU) 6-2, 6-3
- GAJARDO, Ben (BYU) def. FILIPOVICH, Francis (ISU) 6-2, 6-2
- PEARCE, Matthew (BYU) def. SULLIVAN, Keegan (ISU) 7-6, 6-3
- BALL, David (BYU) def. HORNBY, Adam (ISU) 6-3, 6-1
Order of finish: (4, 3, 2, 1, 6, 5)
Follow Men’s Tennis on Social Media
Fans can keep up with the latest on Cougar tennis by following us on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/byumenstennis), Twitter (@BYU_Mens_Tennis) and Instagram (@byumtennis).
BYU Tennis Camp
Register for BYU tennis camp this summer with Coach Pearce here.