BYU to Host San Diego Saturday
PROVO, Utah — After going 3-0 last week, including 2-0 on a WCC road trip, BYU men's tennis returns home to face San Diego on Saturday, April 10, at 11 a.m MDT. Riding a four-match win streak, the Cougars look to improve to 5-0 in West Coast Conference play and remain atop the WCC standings.
BYU Notes (10-5, 4-0 West Coast Conference)
- The Cougars are 10-5, most recently beating Gonzaga, 4-2, on Saturday
- BYU has wins over Grand Canyon, Weber State, Idaho State, Montana, Santa Clara, Air Force, Saint Mary's, Montana State, Portland and Gonzaga. The Cougars' four losses were at Oregon (twice), to New Mexico at home, at Utah State and at UNLV.
- The Cougars are 8-1 at home and picked up their first wins away from Provo last weekend, improving to 2-4 on the road after wins in Portland and Spokane
- BYU is led by seniors Ben Gajardo, Sean Hill and Sam Tullis. Gajardo, who is on a four-match win streak, leads the team with 13 singles wins. Hill has 12 singles wins and Tullis has nine.
- The doubles pair of Sean Hill and Sam Tullis is 7-3 this season, including 3-1 in WCC play. Doubles duo Jack Barnett and Ben Gajardo are 5-1 (2-1 WCC) this season and the new pairing of Mateo Vereau Melendez and Brigham Andrus in the No. 3 spot are 2-0 after wins at Portland and Gonzaga last week.
Head Coach - Dave Porter
- Alma Mater: BYU, 1975
- Division 1 Coaching Record: 10-5 (1st Season)
- Record at BYU: Same
BYU Doubles Records
- Matheus Ferreira Leite & Mateo Vereau Melendez (1-6)
- Ben Gajardo & Sam Tullis (3-2)
- Jack Barnett & Sean Hill (2-2)
- Jack Barnett & Mateo Vereau Melendez (0-1)
- Ben Gajardo & Matheus Ferreira Leite (1-1)
- Sean Hill & Sam Tullis (7-3)
- Dominik Jakovljevic & Mateo Vereau Melendez (1-0)
- Jack Barnett & Ben Gajardo (5-1)
- Brigham Andrus & Mateo Vereau Melendez (2-0)
BYU Singles Records
- Ben Gajardo (13-2)
- Sean Hill (12-2)
- Sam Tullis (9-5)
- Matheus Ferreira Leite (7-3)
- Mateo Vereau Melendez (6-7)
- Jack Barnett (5-3)
- Dominik Jakovljevic (5-5)
- Vinicius Feijao Nogueira (1-0)
- Alex Lin (0-1)
San Diego Notes (6-7, 3-1 West Coast Conference)
- The Toreros are 6-7, with their most recent win coming against Gonzaga on April 2, a 4-3 victory in Spokane
- San Diego has wins over Cal Poly, UC Irvine, Saint Mary's, UNLV, San Francisco and Gonzaga. The Toreros' losses are to Arizona State, Arizona, SMU, Texas Tech, USC, Portland and Oregon.
- The Toreros will visit No. 36 UCLA on Tuesday, April 6, before coming to Provo for the Saturday morning matchup with the Cougars. The Bruins will be the fifth ranked team that San Diego has faced this season, previously going 0-4 against ITA ranked teams. The Toreros also had a match against No. 46 Cal that was canceled.
- San Diego returned seven from last season's roster and welcomed two newcomers this year
- The Toreros' Austen Holmgren came in at No. 30 in last week's ITA Singles rankings and the doubles pair of Holmgren/David Norfeldt were ranked #61
- The last meeting between BYU and San Diego was on March 30, 2019, in Provo. The Cougars beat the 24th ranked Toreros, 4-3. San Diego leads the all-time series, 8-6.
Head Coach - Ryan Keckley
- Alma Mater: Notre Dame (2007)
- Division 1 Record: 93-44 (6th Season)
- Record at San Diego: Same
BYU men’s tennis swept San Diego 4-0 at the Outdoor Tennis Courts on Saturday, improving to 5-0 in West Coast…
The West Coast Conference named Mateo Vereau Melendez and Brigham Andrus its University Credit Union Men’s Tennis …
BYU men's tennis beat Gonzaga 4-2 at the Stevens Tennis Center on Saturday, going 2-0 on the Pacific Northwest road…
Wins by Sam Tullis and Mateo Vereau Melendez highlighted a 4-3, come-from-behind BYU men's tennis win over Portland at…