Rice Fall Challenge: Day Two
HOUSTON - BYU men's tennis added four more wins during day two of the Rice Fall Challenge, giving the Cougars 10 victories (5 singles, 5 doubles) thus far. The competition concludes for BYU on Saturday, Oct. 29, with matches slated to start at 10:00 a.m. CDT.
The team's performance has been led by senior Mateo Vereau, who is 3-0 after adding another singles victory on Friday. After battling to win two tie-break sets on Thursday, Vereau made quick work of his Friday match, surrendering just four games across two sets.
Dominik Jakovljevic also won in quick fashion, while Wally Thayne moved to 6-3 on the season with his singles win, BYU's best mark thus far. Redd Owen and Brian Chen enjoyed a five-game lead in their doubles win to remain undefeated together in Houston.
Saturday's schedule sees BYU start with doubles against Texas A&M Corpus Christi (TAMUCC) and UTSA, followed by singles against SMU and TAMUCC.
- Wally Thayne def. Tomás Pinho (UTSA) 6-3, 6-2
- Dominik Jakovljevic def. Garrett Skelly (UTSA) 6-3, 6-1
- Danijal Muminovic (UTSA) def. Redd Owen 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
- Mateo Vereau def. Avery Zavala (TAMUCC) 6-3, 6-1
- Nathan Schwartz (TAMUCC) def. Zach Fuchs 6-4, 6-3
- Ulysse Bertrand (TAMUCC) def. Alex Lin 6-0, 6-2
- Tomas Quesada Perez (TAMUCC) def. Brian Chen 6-4, 6-1
- Owen/Chen def. Sandogan/Morais (Rice) 8-3
- Quesada Perez/Zavala (TAMUCC) def. Thayne/Fuchs 8-5
- Schurdevin/Bertrand (TAMUCC) def. Jakovljevic/Lin 8-5
BYU men’s tennis welcomes Cal Poly to the BYU Indoor Tennis Courts at 11:00 a.m. MST on Friday.