BYU Advances to Championships
San Diego, Calif. (April 29, 2005)--The Boys in Blue shot down the Falcons with a 4-0 sweep. With the win, the Cougars advance to the MWC Championships for the first time under second year head coach Brad Pearce.
The match started off a little sluggish as players had to adjust to the early ocean breeze. At one doubles, the Cougars fell behind early. But thankfully it didn't matter as both 2 and 3 doubles picked up the slack with wins and gave the Cougars a 1-0 lead over the No. 6 seeded Air Force. Yesterday, the Falcons pulled a shocking upset sneaking past No. 3 seeded New Mexico for the right to play BYU in the semifinals.
With the doubles point secured, BYU simply blasted Air Force during singles play. Sophomore Chip Hand was the first to finish as he only gave up a game in his two set, forty minute 6-1,6-0 victory. Jonathan Sanchez then threw in a 6-0,6-3 victory at 6 singles to give BYU a 3-0 lead. Ludlow secured the victory and got a little revenge over Air Force's McClung 6-1,7-5--who Ludlow had lost to earlier in the season.
With the win, the Cougars will play either San Diego State or UNLV in the Championship match tomorrow at noon.
1. Roshan vs. Buck DNF
2. Ludlow def. McClung(AF) 6-1,7-5
3. Das(BYU) vs. Johnson(AF) DNF
4. LaPorte(BYU) vs. Dong(AF) DNF
5. Hand(BYU) def. Lau(AF) 6-1,6-0
6. Sanchez(BYU) def. Alexander(AF) 6-0, 6-3
1. Buck/McClung(AF) def. Roshan/Lechuga(BYU)
2. Kaufhold/Ludlow(BYU) def. Johnson/Dong(AF) 8-5
3. Hand/LaPorte(BYU) def. Lau/Alexander(AF) 8-4