BYU beats Lewis 3-1 in semis to advance to NCAA championship game
COLUMBUS, Ohio — BYU men's volleyball defeated Lewis 3-1 (25-22, 25-15, 26-28, 25-20) in the NCAA semifinals Thursday night to advance to the national championship game Saturday against Hawaii.
The Cougars now head to their eighth national championship appearance, looking for their fourth national title. Head coach Shawn Olmstead will be making his third championship appearance as head coach after the victory over Lewis.
“We knew it was going to be a tough match,” Olmstead said, “but I just couldn't be more excited for the guys and proud of them. I’m happy.”
- Gabi Garcia Fernandez: 17 kills, .364 hitting percentage, two service aces, two blocks, seven digs
- Davide Gardini: 11 kills, two service aces, six digs, two blocks
- Zach Eschenberg: 11 kills, three service aces, two digs, two blocks
- Felipe de Brito Ferreira: six kills, .625 hitting percentage, six blocks
- Wil Stanley: 43 assists, eight digs, five blocks
See a recap of the semifinal victory with more quotes, highlights, statistics and more by scrolling the photo essay below.
Three former Cougars have been named to USA Volleyball rosters for the upcoming 2020 Tokyo Olympic games. Taylor Sander…
BYU men’s volleyball finished the 2021 season with a 20-4 record and a No. 2 national ranking. The team won its eighth…
MPSF Executive Director Al Beaird has announced the MPSF All-Academic Team for the 2021 men’s volleyball season, and…
Three former BYU players will compete with Team USA later this month in Rimini, Emilia-Romagna, Italy. Current BYU…