BYU men's volleyball to face Penn State in season opener
PROVO, Utah — BYU men’s volleyball will open its 2022 season by facing Penn State in a two-match series starting Thursday, Jan. 6 at 7 p.m. EST in the Penn State Rec Hall.
On Dec. 20, the NVA/AVCA Coaches Poll ranked the Cougars No. 6 its pre-season rankings. Meanwhile, the Nittany Lions came in at No. 5.
In the all-time series between these two teams, BYU leads 13-6. On an eight-match winning streak, the Cougars last defeated the Nittany Lions in Jan. 2019.
Brigham Young University Cougars (0-0, 0-0 Mountain Pacific Sports Federation Conference)
- BYU finished the 2021 season with a 20-4 record, its eighth MPSF Conference championship title, a trip to the NCAA national championship game and a No. 2 national ranking
- This is head coach Shawn Olmstead’s seventh season
- The Cougars welcome back 11 returners and have added nine newcomers
- Off the Block recognized junior Davide Gardini as preseason First Team All-American
Penn State University (0-0, 0-0 Eastern Intercollegiate Volleyball Association)
- No. 1 ranking in the EIVA preseason coaches' poll
- Penn State returns its entire starting lineup and 17 total student-athletes from the 2021 roster, including All-Americans Cole Bogner, Cal Fisher and Brett Wildman and All-EIVA honorees Will Bantle and Sam Marsh
- Seniors Bogner, Fisher and Wildman were selected preseason First Team All-Americans by Off the Block
- The Nittany Lions finished the 2021 season with a 22-4 overall record and 16-2 conference record. Their season ended with a loss to Lewis University in the second round of the NCAA Tournament.
BROADCAST INFORMATION – Jan. 6
BROADCAST INFORMATION – Jan. 8
For those wishing to attend, tickets for Rec Hall are free. Information can be found here. Masks are required.