Freshman Huntyr Ava and pitching staff lead BYU in first wins of season
PUERTO VALLARTA, Mex. – Freshman Huntyr Ava and the BYU pitchers led the softball team to back-to-back wins against George Washington 1-0 and Nevada 6-1, Thursday morning at the Puerto Vallarta College Challenge.
"It was a great start to our season today," BYU head coach Gordon Eakin said. "We had solid pitching and timely hitting. We had two well played and exciting games."
In the first game, Ava hit the walk-off RBI single to score Marissa Chavez for a 1-0 win, while in the second game the freshman came in as a pinch hitter in the bottom of the sixth inning, blasting a three-run homer to give BYU a 5-1 edge, leading to a 6-1 victory.
Game One vs. George Washington
- A walk-off single from freshman Huntyr Ava ended the game as Mariss Chavez made it home to give BYU a 1-0 win.
- Autumn Moffat earned her first win of the season pitching a complete game shutout with only two hits and one walk
- Huntyr Ava: 2-4, 1 RBI, 0 K
- Autumn Moffat: W (1-0), 7.0 IP, 0R, 0ER, 1BB, 4K
- Marissa Chavez: 1-2, 1R, 2B, 1BB, 0K
Moffat came out firing on all cylinders to start the game for BYU, going three up, three down in the top of the first inning. A pitchers duel emerged as both teams remained scoreless throughout the first six innings of the game.
In the bottom of the seventh inning with two outs, Chavez lined the ball to right field making it all the way to second base. With Ava up to bat, the Utah native ripped the ball between the first and second baseman into right field giving Chavez the time to make it all the way to home. The walk-off RBI single gave BYU its first win of the season.
Game Two vs. Nevada
- Ava blasted her first career homer at BYU, tallying three RBI in the process after coming into the game in the bottom of the sixth as a pinch hitter.
- Arissa Paulson recorded her first win of the season, striking out five while allowing only one earned run.
- Five different players tallied runs in the game including two from second baseman Erin Miklus
- Huntyr Ava: 1-1, 1R, 3RBI, 1HR, 0K
- Arissa Paulson: W (1-0), 7.0 IP, 1ER, 0BB, 5K
- Taylei Williams: 1-3, 2RBI, 2B
BYU started out the scoring in the bottom of the second inning as Rylee Jensen-McFarland doubled to center field sending Aubrielle Paulson home for the first run. Williams followed with a sacrifice fly out to left field to bring in Miklus.
In the top of the fifth, the Wolf Pack scored the only run of the game on an error in the outfield.
But in the bottom of the sixth, Ava secured the win for the BYU with a three-run homer and the game ended after the Cougars tallied three outs in the top of the seventh inning for a 6-1 win.
BYU takes on Oregon in the second day of the Puerto Vallarta College Challenge at 6 p.m. CT at Nancy Almaraz Stadium in Puerto Vallarta.