Paulson shuts out San Diego State 3-0
SAN DIEGO – Pitcher Arissa Paulson shutout San Diego State as the BYU softball team took a 3-0 win in the first game of the Campbell Cartier Classic on Thursday night at SDSU Softball Stadium.
"We played a solid game tonight," BYU head coach Gordon Eakin said. "Arissa Paulson pitched an incredible game and our defense was solid. We made great adjustments at the plate against a very good San Diego State pitcher. Rylee Jensen-McFarland came up big for us on offense."
- Arissa Paulson pitched a one-hit shutout against San Diego State for her second win of the season while also tallying nine strikeouts.
- Rylee Jensen-McFarland picked up an RBI single in the top of the fifth inning to give BYU 1-0 lead in the game and followed it up with her first homer of the season in the top of the seventh frame.
- Kaylee Erickson and Taylei Williams scored runs en route to BYU's 3-0 win.
- Arissa Paulson: W (2-0), 7.0 IP, 1H, 0R, 1BB, 9K
- Rylee Jensen: 2-3, 1R, 2RBI, HR
- Kaylee Erickson: R, BB
Pitcher Arissa Paulson was dominant for the Cougars, facing the minimum 21 batters in the seven-inning complete game, thanks to a pair of double plays. In the first inning, the BYU defense picked up the first double play and Paulson struck out the side in the bottom of the second inning.
The Aztecs got their first hit of the night in the fourth frame but again the Cougar defense turned its second double play to retire the side.
BYU followed it up with a hit of its own in the top of the fifth. Kaylee Erickson drew a walk to get on base and a sacrifice bunt from Erin Miklus moved Erickson to second. Rylee Jensen-McFarland followed, singling up the middle to score Erickson giving BYU a 1-0 advantage.
In the top of the seventh, Jensen-McFarland blasted her first homer of the season to give the Cougars a 2-0 lead. With Taylei Williams on second base, pitcher Paulson singled to left field scoring Williams to give BYU a 3-0 lead.
In the bottom of the seventh, San Diego State again went three-up, three-down and BYU took the win 3-0.
The Cougars continue in the tournament on Friday, Feb. 14 with a game against Southern Utah at 11:30 a.m. followed by a matchup against Cal State Fullerton at 2 p.m. PT.