Jensen-McFarland's three homers help BYU to back-to-back wins
ST. GEORGE, Utah – Three homers from Rylee Jensen-McFarland helped the Cougars record two wins against Utah State 6-3 and Montana 9-0 on the second day of the St. George Classic.
Daily Stat Highlights:
Rylee Jensen-McFarland: 6-8, 4R, 1 2B, 3HR, 5RBI
"We played two solid games today," BYU head coach Gordon Eakin said. "Our pitching staff only gave up threes runs and six hits through two games. Autumn Moffat-Korth pitched a one-hit shutout and offensively we had good balance, lead by Rylee Jensen-McFarland and her three home runs."
Game One vs. Utah State
- All three batters for BYU made it home in the first inning giving the Cougars a 3-0 advantage early.
- Rylee Jensen-McFarland blasted a homer during her first at bat of the game
- Rylee Jensen-McFarland: 3-4, 1R, 1RBI, 1HR
- Violet Zavodnik: 3-4, 2R, 1RBI
- Arissa Paulson: (W, 1-0), 3.1IP, 2ER, 1K
- Reggie Kanagawa: (S, 1), 3.2IP, 0R, 1K
The Cougars started out strong in the first as Jensen-McFarland hit a bomb over the fence, followed by a walk from HannahJo Peterson and a double from Zavodnik. A single from Maratha Epenesa brought both Peterson and Zavodnik home, giving BYU a 3-0 advantage in the first.
Two more runners made it home in the third as Paulson singled to bring in Epenesa and Zavodnik to make the score 5-0.
The Aggies answered back scoring one in the bottom of the third frame and added two more in the fourth to make it 5-3. BYU added on the final run in the top of the sixth as Zavodnik drove in Marissa Chavez to make it 6-3.
Game Two vs. Montana
- Rylee Jensen-McFarland and Marissa Chavez both recorded home runs
- Autumn Moffat-Korth pitched her way to her first shutout of the season while also allowing only one hit and striking out nine batters
- Rylee Jensen-McFarland: 3-4, 2R, 4RBI, 2HR
- Violet Zavodnik: 1-2, 1R, 1BB, 3SB
- Autumn Moffat-Korth: (W, 2-2), 5.0IP, 1H, 0R, 9K
Jensen-McFarland doubled at her first at bat of the game and eventually scored on a sacrifice fly from Huntyr Ava to make it 1-0 in the first.
A double in the second frame from Peterson brought home freshman Natalie Sicairos and Taylei Williams as BYU went up 3-0.
Moffat-Korth retired the side in the top of the third before Jensen-McFarland hit her second homer of the game, also bringing in Erin Miklus, in the bottom of the fourth to make the score 5-0. Later in the inning, Ava recorded a double and brought in Zavodnik to make the score 6-0. Moffat-Korth again retired the side in the fifth before Chavez and Jensen-McFarland closed out the game both hitting homers to make the score 9-0, enacting the NCAA 8-run rule.
BYU finishes its final games of the St. George Classic on Saturday, Feb. 20 against UVU and Nevada at 11 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. MST, respectively.