Jensen, Moffat-Korth surpass milestones in wins over SMC
MORAGA, Calif. – Rylee Jensen and Autumn Moffat-Korth hit career milestones in BYU's two-win day over Saint Mary's, 8-5 and 1-0, to remain undefeated in West Coast Conference play.
Rylee Jensen scored her 200th career run in the first game against Saint Mary's. The senior is now No. 2 all-time at BYU in career runs scored and No. 3 nationally among active Division I softball players. Moffat-Korth surpassed 300 career strikeouts in the second game finishing the game with a total of 306.
Game One vs. Saint Mary’s | BYU: 8, SMC: 5
- Rylee Jensen scored her 200th career run in the seventh inning. The senior is now No. 2 all-time at BYU in career runs, only 15 away from the record.
- Freshman Violet Zavodnik hit her second triple of the year at her first at bat of the game
- Three Cougars hit homers in the game including Rylee Jensen, HannahJo Peterson and Huntyr Ava.
- Rylee Jensen: 3-4, 2R, 2RBI, 2B, HR
- HannahJo Peterson: 1-2, 2R, 2RBI, HR, HBP, BB
- Violet Zavodnik: 2-4, R, RBI, 3B
- Carley Brown: S (2), 2.2 IP, 3H, 0ER, 0BB, 2K
The Cougars (20-13, 3-0 WCC) came out swinging to start off the game as Violet Zavodnik tripled to left center sending HannahJo Peterson home, after she reached base on a hit-by-pitch, to put BYU up 1-0. Arissa Paulson followed it up with a groundout which brought home Zavodnik to give the Cougars a 2-0 lead.
The Gaels responded in the bottom of the frame making it home on a BYU error cutting the Cougars lead to 2-1.
However, BYU continued its scoring spree in the top of the third as Martha Epenesa scored on a passed ball before Taylei Williams walked and stole second. Jensen followed it up with a two-run bomb to left field pushing the Cougars to a 5-1 lead.
Saint Mary’s brought one home in the bottom of the third for a 5-2 score before a single shot from Huntyr Ava brought BYU to 6-2 in the top of the fifth.
In the bottom of the fifth frame, the Gaels brought two across to make the score 6-4. A two-run jack in the top of the seventh from Peterson, also bringing home Jensen, pushed the Cougars to 8-4. In the bottom of the frame, Saint Mary’s threatened, bringing one across, before Carley Brown struck out the last batting and the Cougars took the win 8-5.
Game Two vs. Saint Mary’s | BYU: 1, SMC: 0
- Autumn Moffat-Korth threw six-hitless innings before surrendering a single hit in the bottom of the seventh.
- Violet Zavodnik hit two triples in the game and her third of the day. Her third triple of the day brought in HannahJo Peterson for BYU’s lone run of the game.
- Autumn Moffat-Korth tallied seven strikeouts in the game including her 300th career strikeout.
- Autumn Moffat-Korth: W (11-8), 7.0 IP, H, 0R, 1BB, 7K
- Violet Zavodnik: 2-4, RBI, 2 3B
After five scoreless innings, the Cougars finally got on the board. Peterson drew a walk before Zavodnik tripled down the left field line sending Peterson home to put BYU ahead 1-0.
Moffat-Korth continued her hitless campaign through the sixth frame. In the bottom of the seventh, a single followed by a BYU error put the Gaels in scoring position but Moffat-Korth closed the game with her seventh strikeout and BYU completed its sweep of Saint Mary’s.
The Cougars return home for a three-game homestand that begins against Idaho State on Tuesday, April 13 at 6 p.m. MDT.
The BYU softball team today released its fall schedule, which includes six home games, two road games and five Blue-…
With the conclusion of the 2018-19 academic year, the West Coast Conference has announced the 18th annual WCC…
BYU softball head coach Gordon Eakin announced today that Chloe Temples and Macy Simmons will join the Cougars this…
BYU softball will hold walk-on tryouts at Gail Miller Field on Sept. 2 at 3 p.m. MDT.