Cougars return home to host Saint Mary's
PROVO, Utah — BYU women’s basketball is back in the Marriott Center to take on Saint Mary’s on Thursday, Jan. 14, at 6 p.m. MST. The matchup will be broadcast live on BYUtv as well as the BYUtv App.
The Cougars (7-2, 3-1) split their first WCC road trip of the season last week, falling narrowly to San Diego 58-56 before beating LMU 71-57. The Gaels (2-9, 0-5) travel to Provo after dropping a pair of home contests last week to Santa Clara, 77-59, and San Francisco, 73-56.
ABOUT BYU (7-2, 3-1)
- BYU bounced back from its first WCC loss of the season by using a balanced offensive attack and a smothering defensive effort to defeat LMU 71-57. Four different Cougars scored in double figures versus the Lions for the first time this season.
- Shaylee Gonzales currently leads the WCC in scoring (20.4 ppg) and is the 33rd highest scorer in the nation.
- Lauren Gustin is averaging 13.2 rebounds per contest, ranking her 3rd in the country. Her 9.9 defensive rebounds per game rank her 2nd throughout the NCAA.
- Gustin has also tallied six double-doubles on the season, the 9th most in the nation.
- Sara Hamson’s 21 blocked shots this season ranks her 23rd in the country. She is currently averaging 2.3 blocks per game.
- Gonzales, Gustin (12.3 ppg) and Paisley Johnson Harding (11.1 ppg) are all averaging double figures in scoring. Coming off the bench, Tegan Graham (7.7 ppg) is BYU’s fourth leading scorer.
- As a team, the Cougars rank 32nd in the nation in field-goal percentage (.460) and 44th in field-goal percentage defense (.357).
ABOUT SMC (2-9, 0-5)
- The Gaels are looking to secure their first WCC win of the season after falling at home last week to Santa Clara and San Francisco.
- Junior guard Taycee Wedin leads Saint Mary’s in scoring with an 11.7 point-per-game average.
- Freshman forward Finau Tonga (10.6) and senior guard Madeline Holland (10.2) are also averaging double figures in scoring for the Gaels.
- Senior guard Brianna Simonich leads the team in rebounds (8.5 rpg), assists (2.9 apg) and steals (1.5 spg).
- Last season, Saint Mary’s finished 7th in the WCC regular season standings with a 6-12 conference record. The Gaels were picked to finish 5th in the 2020-21 WCC Preseason Poll.
- Head coach Paul Thomas, who is in his 15th season at the helm of the program, has accumulated a 270-188 record at Saint Mary’s.
- BYU holds an 11-10 all-time series lead over Saint Mary’s.
- The Cougars are 6-3 against the Gaels when playing in the Marriott Center.
- Last season, BYU swept the season series, most recently defeating Saint Mary’s at home 60-39.
Following their matchup with Saint Mary’s, the Cougars remain at home to face Pacific (4-3, 2-2) on Saturday, Jan. 16 at 2 p.m. MST. The contest will be carried live on BYUtv and on the BYUtv App.
Lauren Gustin recorded her seventh double-double of the season as BYU women’s basketball defeated Saint Mary’s 80-63…
BYU Women’s Basketball Head Coach Jeff Judkins has announced the hiring of Xojian Harry as director of operations.…
Four different Cougars scored in double figures as BYU women’s basketball defeated Loyola Marymount 71-57 Thursday…
BYU women’s basketball remains on the road to face Loyola Marymount at Gersten Pavilion on Thursday, Jan. 7, at 6:00 p.…