BYU hosts No. 15 Utah on Saturday
PROVO, Utah – BYU women's basketball hosts in-state rival, No. 15 Utah on Saturday, Dec. 10 at 5 p.m. MT at the Marriott Center. The game will be televised on BYUtv and streamed on the BYUtv App and BYUtv.org.
December is also "Holiday Hoops" month where tickets for all women's basketball home games will be $5 dollars. This includes Utah on Saturday and Dec. 21 vs. Monmouth, Dec. 29 vs. Pacific and Dec. 31 vs. St. Mary's. Visit BYUtickets.com to purchase.
Utah is 7-0 and ranked 15th in the latest Associated Press Top 25 poll. The Utes rank No. 1 in the country in scoring offense, putting up 97.0 points per game.
- UTAH (DEC. 10). BYU and Utah are meeting for the 110th game in the series. Utah holds a 67-42 advantage in the series. BYU won the last matchup, 85-80 in Salt Lake City on Dec. 4, 2021. Paisley Harding led the way with a career-high 33 points on 14 of 20 shooting.
- LAST GAME. The Cougars won back-to-back games for the first time this year, beating Utah State 64-54 after defeating Boise State on the road the week before.
- NEW ERA. BYU has a new head coach in Amber Whiting this year for the first time in 21 seasons after the retirement of Jeff Judkins. Judkins, the winningest coach in school history (455 wins) paved the way for first-time head coach Amber Whiting, a Cougar alum to take the rains in 2022-23. BYU is will also need to replace the WCC Player of the Year (Shaylee Gonzales), another All-WCC First Team selection (Paisley Harding) and an All-WCC Honorable Mention (Tegan Graham). The Cougars are also replacing point guard Maria Albiero who was tied with Paisley Harding for the most played games in school history.
- DOUBLE-DOUBLE MACHINE. Forward Lauren Gustin continues to be a force down low and leads the nation with 9 double-doubles in 9 games to start the season. BYU Hall of Famer Tina Gunn Robison began the 1979-80 season with 17 double-doubles in a row, finishing with 27 on the year. Gustin is averaging 15.8 points per game and 13.6 rebounds. She is No. 3 nationally in rebounds per game. The junior from Salem, Utah, is No. 2 in total rebounds with 122. Gustin posted a season-high 20 rebounds against No. 16 Oklahoma.
- SPREADING IT AROUND. BYU has had seven different players hit double figures in a single game. Lauren Gustin has done it in every game (9) while Nani Falatea has seven games. Kaylee Smiler has hit at least 10 four times, Rose Bubakar five times, Arielle Mackey-Williams twice, and Amanda Barcello and Emma Calvert have done it in one game apiece.
Despite coming back from an 11-point deficit to tie the game with under two minutes remaining, the BYU women’s…