BYU travels to San Diego for Saturday game
PROVO, Utah – BYU women's basketball is back in action Saturday at San Diego to take on the Toreros at 2 p.m. PT at the Jenny Craig Pavilion. The game will be streamed on the WCC Network.
This week the West Coast Conference is honoring the life and legacy of San Francisco, WCC and NBA legend Bill Russell for his achievements as a Hall of Fame basketball player and as a pioneer for social justice during the first week of Black History Month. WCC men’s and women’s basketball student-athletes will wear special shirts honoring the life and legacy of Bill Russell during pregame activities for games on Feb. 2 and 4. Russell passed away on July 31, 2022.
BYU (12-10, 7-4) at San Diego (12-10, 6-5)
Saturday, Feb. 4
2 p.m. PST
Jenny Craig Pavilion
TV/Stream: WCC Network
On Twitter: @byuwbb
- SAN DIEGO (FEB 4). The Cougars are traveling to San Diego for the second game of the season series against the Toreros. BYU won the first matchup 63-49 in Provo in early January. San Diego is coming off of back-to-back wins on the road at Pacific and at Saint Mary’s and has the same overall record as the Cougars at 12-10. The Toreros have a 6-5 mark in WCC play.
- LAST GAME. BYU is looking to bounce back after suffering a 79-66 loss on the road to Pacific last Saturday. The Cougars did get a road win at Saint Mary’s earlier on the California trip.
- CONFERENCE PLAY. The Cougars are into West Coast Conference action for the remainder of the 2022-23 season. BYU is 7-4 in league play and currently sit in third place behind Gonzaga (11-0) and Portland (10-1) in the No. 1 and No. 2 spots. San Diego is a game behind BYU at 6-5.
- SCORING DUO. BYU has two players averaging double-figure scoring with Nani Falatea and Lauren Gustin. Falatea is No. 6 in the WCC and leads the team with 15.7 points per game while Gustin is right behind at 15.6. Falatea has scored 20 or more in four consecutive games, including a career-high 27 points at Pacific last week.
- NATION’S BEST. Forward Lauren Gustin was just named one of 10 final candidates for the 2023 Katrina McClain Award, her second-consecutive year with that honor. She leads the nation with with 16.5 rebounds per game and 362 total rebounds. She is No. 2 in double-doubles with 20 in 22 games. The junior from Salem, Utah has posted 20 or more rebounds seven times this year to lead the country. Gustin was recently named to the Naismith College Women’s Defensive Player of the Year Award watch list.
- MILESTONES. Gustin is also just collected her 1,000th career rebound. With one more double-double, she will have 50 career double-doubles. She would join Tina Gunn Robison as the only other BYU player to hit both marks.
Cougar comeback comes up short in WNIT loss to Rice
BYU women’s basketball ended its 2023 season Friday evening with a 71-67 loss to the Rice Owls in the WNIT Postseason…
Cougars take on Rice in WNIT round of 64
BYU women's basketball will open its WNIT Postseason Tournament play as the Cougars take on the Rice Owls in the Round…