Madeline Almeida Wanlass's third set secures 4-3 road win over GCU
PHOENIX, Arizona – Madeline Almeida Wanlass helps BYU secure a 4-3 win against last year's WAC champs Grand Canyon University, Friday.
The Cougars are now 2-0 on the season, while GCU drops to 0-2 on the year.
“We had a rough start in the doubles adapting to the slow courts and slow conditions, but we battled in singles,” said BYU head coach Holly Parkinson Hasler. "I was especially proud of Madeline for fighting back from match point down in her second set; she deserved the clinch by playing to win and committing to stepping up. It's matches like this that help us grow together as a team."
With the score tied at 3-3, Almeida Wanlass fought hard to bring home the win for the Cougars. After three thrilling sets, she defeated GCU's Celina Buhr 3-6, 7-6 (7-5), 6-4 for the victory.
In doubles play, Senior Polina Malykh alongside freshman Emilee Astle, recorded the only win by defeating Grand Canyon's Natasha Puehse and Jana Weiss 6-3 in the No. 2 spot. Helen Jiao and Almeida Wanlass fought hard in the No. 3 doubles match but lost to Ludovica Infantino and Autumn Prudhomme 4-6. Grand Canyon secured the doubles point after No. 1 doubles team Kate Cusick Truman and Leah Heimuli fell to GCU’s Emilia Occhipinti and Celina Buhr 2-6.
Astle finished her No. 6 singles match first, defeating Martina Lo Pumo 6-1, 6-2. Malykh continued her dominance on the court as she finished her No. 4 singles match soon after, winning 6-1, 6-2 against Weiss to give BYU a 2-1 lead.
In a close No. 1 singles match, Cusick Truman pulled out the win in three sets, beating Occhipinti 6-3, 2-6, 1-0. Heimuli put up a good fight, winning the first set but lost in three to Puehse 7-5, 1-6, 2-6. Jiao also lost in three sets to Infantino 3-6, 6-0, 4-6.
Next week the Cougars remain on the road traveling to Pullman, Washington where they will play the University of Idaho on Friday, Jan. 31, at 3 p.m. PDT. On Saturday, Feb. 1, the play Washington State at 3 p.m. PDT. Live streaming and stats will be available on the women’s tennis schedule page.
1. Emilia Occhipinti/Celina Buhr (GCU) def. Kate Cusick Truman/Leah Heimuli (BYU) 6-2
2. Emilee Astle/Polina Malykh (BYU) def. Natasha Puehse/Jana Weiss (GCU) 6-3
3. Ludovica Infantino/Autumn Prudhomme (GCU) def. Helen Jiao/Madeline Almeida Wanlass (BYU) 6-4
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3
1. Kate Cusick Truman (BYU) def. Emilia Occhipinti (GCU) 6-3, 2-6, 6-2
2. Natasha Puehse (GCU) def. Leah Heimuli (BYU) 5-7, 6-1, 6-2
3. Madeline Almeida Wanlass (BYU) def. Celina Buhr (GCU) 3-6, 7-6(7-5), 6-4
4. Polina Malykh (BYU) def. Jana Weiss (GCU) 6-1, 6-2
5. Ludovica Infantino (GCU) def. Helen Jiao (BYU) 6-3, 0-6, 6-4
6. Emilee Astle (BYU) def. Martina Lo Pumo (GCU) 6-1, 6-2
Order of finish: 6, 4, 1, 2, 5, 3