Dominant BYU performance results in 6-1 win over GCU
PROVO, Utah – BYU women’s tennis (8-5) defeated Grand Canyon (1-6), 6-1, at the Indoor Tennis Courts on Friday. With the win, the Cougars move to 5-1 at home and 5-0 at the Indoor Tennis Courts.
The Cougars jumped out on top early, dominating in each of the three doubles matches. Anastasia Abramyan and Helen Jiao collected their fourth win as a doubles team, beating Natasha Puehse and Jana Weiss, 6-0. Emilee Astle and Leah Heimuli clinched the doubles point for the Cougars after defeating Emilia Occhipinti and Autum Prudomme, 6-2. Elizabeth Tullis and Kara Lin rounded things out for BYU as they picked up their third win together, completing the doubles sweep in a 6-4 victory over Joely Lomas and Taylor Andersen. BYU is now a combined 25-12 on the season in doubles matches.
Astle continued to be a force in singles matches as she quickly defeated Joely Lomas, 6-1, 6-2. With the win, Astle moves to a team-best 9-3 on the season. Abramyan finished up shortly after Astle to give BYU a 3-0 advantage. Abramyan defeated Puehse in the No. 1 slot, 6-3, 6-0. Heimuli then beat Occhipinti in three sets, 6-1, 7-5, 6-4, for her seventh win of the year.
After falling 6-3 in the first set, Lin answered with a 6-2 win in the second, but it wasn’t enough as Weiss closed the match as she started it with a 6-3 win, the Lopes' only win of the match. Jiao gave BYU its fourth needed point in a 6-3, 6-1 win over Prudhomme. Xenia de Luna ended the day for the Cougars with a 6-2, 7-5 win over Andersen in the No. 6 spot. De Luna now boasts a 6-1 record to start out her sophomore campaign.
The Cougars will have a week off before returning to the court against Weber State on Friday, March 12 at 9 a.m. MST. Weber State (2-3) will play three more matches before facing the Cougars. The Wildcats haven’t played since Friday, Feb. 19. BYU defeated Weber State in the season opener, 6-1. Live stats and a live stream will be available online.
At this time, spectators at home matches are still limited to family members only.
BYU 6, GCU 1
1. Anastasia Abramyan/Helen Jiao (BYU) def. Natasha Puehse/Jana Weiss (GCU), 6-0
2. Emilee Astle/Leah Heimuli (BYU) def. Emilia Occhipinti/Autum Prudhomme (GCU), 6-2
3. Elizabeth Tullis/Kara Lin (BYU) def. Joely Lomas/Taylor Andersen (GCU), 6-4
Order of finish: (1, 2, 3)
1. Anastasia Abramyan (BYU) def. Natasha Puehse (GCU), 6-3, 6-0
2. Leah Heimuli (BYU) def. Emilia Occhipinti (GCU), 6-1, 5-7, 6-4
3. Jana Weiss (GCU) def. Kara Lin (BYU), 6-3, 2-6, 6-3
4. Emilee Astle (BYU) def. Joely Lomas (GCU), 6-1, 6-2
5. Helen Jiao (BYU) def. Autum Prudomme (GCU), 6-3, 6-1
6. Xenia de Luna (BYU) def. Taylor Andersen (GCU), 6-2, 7-5
Order of finish: (4, 1, 2, 3, 5, 6)