Volleyball travels to Washington for regional semifinals
PROVO, Utah – No. 12 BYU women’s volleyball travels to Washington this week to play in the regional semifinals of the NCAA tournament.
The Cougars will first face off against No. 6-seed Florida State. Should BYU win, the Cougars would advance to face the winner of No. 3-seed Washington and No. 14-seed Nebraska.
Last week, BYU swept Seton Hall before winning a four-set thriller on No. 11-seed Arizona’s home court in the first two rounds of the tournament.
No. 6 Florida State
- The Cougars face Florida State Friday at 4 p.m. PST at the University of Washington.
- BYU leads the overall series 4-1 with the Seminoles winning the last matchup in five sets on Nov. 10, 1989.
- Florida State is led by 3.93 kills per set from Nicole Walch, 6.48 assists per set from Sarah Wickstrom, Katie Mosher’s 4.17 digs per set and Sarah Burrington’s 1.45 block average.
- The match will be broadcast live on ESPN3.
No. 3 Washington
- Should BYU win on Friday, it will face the winner of Washington and Nebraska Saturday at 8 p.m. PST.
- The Cougars are 12-1 all-time against the Huskies.
- Washington won a five-set thriller at BYU earlier this season at the BYU Invitational – its only win in the series.
- The Huskies are led by Krista Vansant’s 4.70 kills per set, 6.35 assists per set from Katy Beals, a 3.95 dig average from Cassie Strickland and Lianna Sybeldon’s 1.57 blocks per set.
No. 14 Nebraska
- Nebraska and BYU have faced each other 10 previous times. The Huskers lead the overall series 8-2.
- Nebraska won the last matchup on Sept. 3, 2010 in four sets.
- The Huskers are led by 3.56 kills per set from Kadie Rolfzen, Mary Pollmiller’s 10.10 assist average, Justine Wong-Orantes’ 3.77 digs per set and 1.32 blocks per set from Cecilia Hall.
Friday’s match against Florida State will be broadcast live on ESPN3. Saturday’s matchup against Washington/Nebraska would be broadcast on ESPNU. Links to live stats and a video feed can be found on the BYU women’s volleyball schedule page.
Fans can purchase tickets on the Washington website. All tickets are general admission. Adult tickets cost $20 and youth/senior tickets are $12.
No. 11 BYU women’s volleyball defeated Pacific in straight sets on Thursday night in the Smith Fieldhouse, notching its…
BYU opposite hitter Kenzie Koerber collected this week's West Coast Conference Offensive Player of the Week award, the…
No. 11 BYU women's volleyball will host West Coast Conference foes Pacific and Saint Mary’s, this week with matchups on…
No. 15 BYU women’s volleyball swept Utah Valley University on Saturday in the Lockhart Area (25-16, 25-18, 25-20),…