PROVO, Utah – No. 13 BYU women’s volleyball officially begins the season this week hosting the BYU Invitational.
The Cougars will first face off against in-state rival Utah Valley before taking on Rice and Cal Poly.
- BYU will compete against the Wolverines Friday, Aug. 26, at 7 p.m. MDT to open the season.
- The Cougars lead Utah Valley in the overall series with a perfect 13-0 record, and BYU won the match last year in a 3-0 sweep on the road.
- The Wolverines finished the 2015 season with a 14-14, 9-5 WAC (T-3rd) record.
- The Cougars will then play Rice Saturday, Aug. 27, at 12:30 p.m. MDT at the Smith Fieldhouse.
- BYU is a perfect 6-0 against Rice and won the last meeting in 2012.
- The Owls finished the 2015 season with a 21-10, 11-5 C-USA (T-3rd) record.
- The Cougars will then compete in the final match of the invitational against Cal Poly Saturday, Aug. 27, at 7 p.m. MDT.
- BYU holds an 11-6 edge in the overall series history but fell in the latest meeting at home in five sets in 2010.
- The Mustangs finished the 2015 season 19-8, 11-5 Big West (3rd) record.
In addition to the BYU matches, Utah Valley, Rice and Cal Poly will all face each other in neutral-site matches. The Mustangs will face the Owls Friday, Aug. 26, at 3 p.m. MDT. The Wolverines will face Cal Poly Saturday, Aug. 27, at 10 a.m. MDT and Rice and Utah Valley will compete later that day at 5 p.m. MDT. An all-tournament team will be named following the conclusion of the final match.
All three BYU matches this week will be aired live on BYUtv and simulcast on BYU Radio – Sirius XM 143. Links to live stats and video/audio feeds can be found on the BYU women’s volleyball schedule page.