Cougars drop game to Texas State
SAN MARCOS, Texas — BYU baseball dropped game three of its four-game series with Texas State on Monday, 11-6, at Bobcat Ballpark.
The Cougars scored first with two runs in the second inning as junior Cole Gambill led off with a walk and sophomore Andrew Pintar doubled into the left center gap for the first run. Pintar advanced to third on a ground ball by Abraham Valdez and Hayden Leatham brought him home on a sacrifice bunt down the third-base line for a 2-0 lead.
The scored remained 2-0 until the Bobcats struck back in the bottom of the sixth inning with 10 runs off four hits, five walks and two hit batters. TSU designated hitter Wesley Faison got the scoring going with a three-run homer to left.
“We were in total control through five tonight and we just need to learn how to finish those close games,” said BYU head coach Mike Littlewood. “Giving up 10 runs in the sixth was hard to take, but our guys kept playing hard and we gave ourselves a chance at the end of the game.”
BYU (1-2) responded with two runs in the seventh on a double by Brock Watkins, a triple by Mitch McIntyre and a ground ball by Austin Deming that scored McIntyre from third. TSU (2-1) scored a run of its own in the top half of the seventh to make the score 11-4 through seven innings.
BYU picked up a couple of late runs in the top of the ninth with a double by Watkins, three walks and a hit batter. The Cougars had base loaded in the ninth before TSU was able to get the final out and secure the win.
The final game in the BYU-TSU series is Tuesday, Feb. 23, with the first pitch scheduled for 4:02 p.m. CST. The game will be broadcast on ESPN+ with play-by-play announcer Brant Freeman on the call and former TSU baseball coach Ty Harrington as an analyst.
The game will also be broadcast live on the BYU Sports Network (BYU Radio 107.9 FM/ BYU Cougars app/BYUCougars.com/LiveRadio) with Jason Shephard and Tuckett Slade on the call.
- BYU starter Carter Smith pitched 4 2/3 innings of shutout baseball that included four strikeouts
- Littlewood on Smith's outing: “One positive from today was Carter Smith‘s start. He pitched like he wants to be a weekend starter. He was impressive tonight.”
- Shortstop Brock Watkins had two doubles in three at bats, scored twice and had one RBI to lead the Cougar offense
- Other Cougars with hits included Joshua Cowden, McIntyre and Pintar
- BYU got RBIs from Jacob Rogers, McIntyre, Deming, Gambill, Pintar and Watkins