McBratney and Dominguez break program records, six more first place champions
San Luis Obispo, Calif, — Katie McBratney and Josue Dominguez both broke program records on Friday night of the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation championship.
In the women's 100-yard breaststroke, Katie McBratney swam a time of 1:00.10 and broke the BYU program record, as well as the MPSF meet record. As well, Josue Dominguez succeeded in breaking another program record in the 100-yard breaststroke with a time of 51.81 which may qualify him for nationals.
The women started off strong in the morning with four champions including the 400-yard individual medley, 200-yard freestyle, and 100-yard breaststroke. Shortly after, the men also claimed four first-place finishes in the 100-yard breaststroke, 100-yard butterfly, 200-yard freestyle and 400-yard medley relay.
The BYU women currently hold its second-place rank after Friday's meet with a score of 523.60 right behind the University of Hawaii with 576.50 points. The men are steady in first place with 626.50 points, more than 60 points ahead of the second-place team, Hawai'i.
- 100 Yard Breaststroke - (1:00.10) - 1st - Program Record - Meet Record
- 100 Yard Breaststroke - (51.81) - 1st - Program Record - Meet Record - B Standard
- 100 Yard Butterfly - (47.43) - 1st - Fourth fastest in BYU history
- 400 Yard IM - (4:22.90) - 1st
- 200 Yard Freestyle - (1:49.11) - 1st
- 200 Yard Freestyle (1:36.36) - 1st - Fourth fastest in BYU history
- 100 Yard Breaststroke - (53.29) - 2nd - Third highest in BYU history
- 100 Yard Butterfly - (54.60) - 2nd
- 100 Yard Backstroke - (55.36) - 5th
W 100 Yard Backstroke
- Rivers Johnson - (57.63) - 1st
- Anna Despain - (57.86) - 2nd
M 400 Yard IM
- Tama Tuitama - (3:49.09) - 2nd - Fourth fastest in BYU history
- Tyler Edlefsen - (3:51.27) - 3rd - Fifth fastest in BYU history
M 400 Yard Medley Relay
- Javier Nicolas, Josue Dominguez, Brad Prolo, Connor Stirling - (3:10.53) - 1st - Program Record
W 400 Yard Medley Relay
- Brynn Sproul, Katie McBratney, Charlotte Fieeiki and Rachel Oyler - (3:41.24) - 2nd
With one more day of the MPSF tournament, the Cougars will compete in the 1650 freestyle, 200 backstroke, 100 freestyle, 200 breaststroke, 200 butterfly and 400 freestyle relay on Saturday, Feb. 19.