MALIBU, Calif. – No. 38 BYU men's tennis lost 4-3 to West Coast Conference foe Pepperdine on Saturday to conclude regular season play.
"We've won 21 out of 22 doubles points this season, so our doubles play has been outstanding," BYU head coach Brad Pearce said. "It's become clear that we played a lot of matches indoors this season because our singles play in slower conditions needs to improve to win the WCC Tournament. We'll be focusing on improving our skills in that area this next week."
The Cougars (17-5, 6-3) started the match strong by claiming the doubles point over the Waves (10-10, 4-2).
Matthew Pearce and Mateo Vereau Melendez bested their opponents Matias Sborowitz and Pawel Jankowiak 6-4 at No. 3 doubles. At No. 1 doubles, Sean Hill and Jeffrey Hsu fell to Adrian Oeztbach and Tim Zeitvogel in a close 7-5 match.
A close 7-5 victory at No. 2 doubles gave Sam Tullis and Ben Gajardo the clinch for the doubles point over Corrado Summaria and Enrique Luqu Rico.
Pepperdine rallied back and won two singles matches in a row. At No. 4 singles, Tullis fell to Sborowitz 2-6, 4-6. Ben Gajardo lost to Zeitvogel 2-6, 5-7 at No. 5 singles.
Hill claimed a win at No. 1 singles for BYU by besting Oeztbach 7-6, 6-2. Pearce at No. 6 singles took a 7-6, 7-6 victory over Jankowiak to give the Cougars the lead 3-2.
At No. 2 singles Hsu was defeated by Summaria in three sets 6-2, 6-7, 1-6. Pepperdine claimed the final point at No. 3 singles when Vereau fell to Rico in a close 7-5, 3-6, 1-6 match.
BYU will return to the court to compete in the WCC Tournament, April 24-27, at the Biszantz Tennis Center in Claremont, California. Tournament information will be posted to the men’s schedule page when announced.
#38 BYU 3, Pepperdine 4
- Oeztbach, Adrian/Zeitvogel, Tim (PEPP) def. #43 Sean Hill/Jeffrey Hsu (BYU) 7-5
- Sam Tullis/Ben Gajardo (BYU) def. Summaria, Corrado/Rico, Enrique Luque (PEPP) 7-6
- Mateo Vereau Melendez/Matthew Pearce (BYU) def. Sborowitz, Matias/Jankowiak, Pawel (PEPP) 6-4
Order of finish: (3, 1, 2)
- #103 Sean Hill (BYU) def. Oeztbach, Adrian (PEPP) 7-6, 6-2
- Summaria, Corrado (PEPP) def. Jeffrey Hsu (BYU) 2-6, 7-6, 6-1
- Rico, Enrique Luque (PEPP) def. Mateo Vereau Melendez (BYU) 5-7, 6-3, 6-1
- Sborowitz, Matias (PEPP) def. Sam Tullis (BYU) 6-2, 6-4
- Zeitvogel, Tim (PEPP) def. Ben Gajardo (BYU) 6-2, 7-5
- Matthew Pearce (BYU) def. Jankowiak, Pawel (PEPP) 7-6, 7-6
Order of finish: (4, 5, 1, 6, 2, 3)
FOLLOW MEN’S TENNIS ON SOCIAL MEDIA