PROVO, Utah – With a come from behind win, BYU men’s tennis came out on top 4-3 over Utah State on Saturday at the BYU Outdoor Tennis Courts.
“I am very proud of our team today,” said head coach Dave Porter. “They came out playing terrific doubles, and even when we were down a few matches in singles, they fought back. Matheus had a great win at No. 1 and Dominik and Tennyson fought through the third sets to give us a 4-3 Cougar win. We are looking forward to going down to San Diego next week and hoping our sick and injured players will be back with us by then.”
Starting with doubles play, doubles duo Matheus Leite and Mateo Vereau came out with the first win at No. 1 doubles, beating their Utah State opponents 6-4. Following close behind with a 6-3 win, Dominik Jakovljevic and Tennyson Whiting secured the doubles point and first point of the match for BYU.
Utah State fought back with a win at No. 2 singles to get its first point. With the match tied 1-1, No. 4 and 5 singles fell for BYU to give the Aggies their second and third points. Fighting back at No. 1 singles, Leite came out strong with a 6-3 first set win and breaking in the first game of his second set. Continuing the momentum into the second set, Leite took the win in a tiebreaker 7-5.
With Utah State up 3-2, both No. 6 and 3 came back after first set losses to win their second set. Whiting at No. 6 singles, came out on top with a 6-2 win in his third set to tie the match for the Cougars and leaving the deciding point up to Jakovljevic. At No. 3 singles, Jakovljevic battled to the end coming out with a 2-6, 6-4, 6-4 win to secure the 4-3 win for BYU.
BYU men’s tennis will travel to San Diego next week to face UC San Diego on Thursday and University of San Diego on Saturday.
Brigham Young University 4, Utah State 3
- Matheus Leite (BYU) def. David Cierny (USU) 6-3, 7-6 (7-5)
- Bodin Zarkovic (USU) def. Mateo Vereau (BYU) 6-4, 6-1
- Dominik Jakovljevic (BYU) def. Felipe Acosta (USU) 2-6, 6-4, 6-4 4.
- Sergi Mico Fenollar (USU) def. Otto Schreiner (BYU) 7-5, 6-3
- Roko Savin (USU) def. Alex Lin (BYU) 6-2, 6-1
- Tennyson Whiting (BYU) def. Javier Ruiz (USU) 3-6, 6-4, 6-2
- Matheus Leite and Mateo Vereau (BYU) def. Javier Ruiz and Jack Ninteman (USU) 6-4
- Otto Schreiner and Alex Lin (BYU) vs. Felipe Acosta and Bodin Zarkovic (USU) 4-5
- Dominik Jakovljevic and Tennyson Whiting (BYU) def. Sergi Mico Fenollar and Gabriel Chavez (USU) 6-3
Order of finish: Singles -- 2 4 5 1 6 3 ; Doubles -- 1 3 Start Time: 12 p.m