MORAGA, Calif. – In their last match of the season, BYU men’s tennis fell 4-1 to Saint Mary’s at the Timothy Korth Tennis Complex on Saturday.
Coming out strong, Jack Barnett and Dominik and Jakovljevic dominated at No. 1 doubles with a 6-0 win for the Cougars. At No. 1 doubles, Wally Thayne and Tennyson Whiting fought hard and eventually earned the 6-4 win over James Watt and Boris Reckow to secure the first point for BYU.
Saint Mary’s fought back, earning a point at No. 3 singles to tie the score. At No. 1 singles, Thayne fell in his first set only to come back in the second 6-3. With another tight match at No. 5 singles, Otto Schreiner also fell in his first set but took the win in the second 6-4 over Thibaud Maxant. Saint Mary’s continued to be a tough competitor, earning a win by Watt at No. 2 singles. Dominik Jakovljevic battled hard at No. 4 singles, taking his opponent to 5-5 in the first set. Jakovljevic eventually fell 7-5, 6-3 to Carlos Ramos to give Saint Mary’s their third point.
In a split set match, Thayne continued to fight for the Cougars, but eventually fell in the third set 6-4 to secure the 4-1 win for the Gaels.
Saint Mary's 4, Brigham Young University 1
- Mathis Moysan (SMC) def. Wally Thayne (BYU) 6-3, 3-6, 6-4
- James Watt (SMC) def. Matheus Ferreira Lei (BYU) 6-3, 6-4
- Caelan Potts (SMC) def. Mateo Vereau (BYU) 6-1, 6-1
- Carlos Ramos (SMC) def. Dominik Jakovljevic (BYU) 7-5, 6-2
- Thibaud Maxant (SMC) vs. Otto Schreiner (BYU) 6-4, 4-6, 1-0, unfinished
- Diego Jarry (SMC) vs. Tennyson Whiting (BYU) 5-7, 5-3, unfinished
- Wally Thayne/Tennyson Whiting (BYU) def. James Watt/Boris Reckow (SMC) 6-4
- Jack Barnett/Dominik Jakovljevic (BYU) def. Mathis Moysan/Carlos Ramos (SMC) 6-0
- Caelan Potts/Felipe Rincon (SMC) def. Otto Schreiner/Alex Lin (BYU) 5-4
Brigham Young University 8-13 (1-8) Saint Mary's 6-14 (4-5)
Doubles order of finish: 2,1
Singles order of finish 3,2,4,1