BYU men's basketball will travel to the Northwest to take on West Coast Conference foe Portland on Thursday at 8 p.m. PST in the Chiles Center. The Cougars are 14-10 overall and 6-3 in the WCC while the Pilots are 7-17 and 0-9.
Thursday's game will be televised live on ESPN2. The game with also be broadcast live on the BYU Sports Network on BYU Radio – Sirius XM 143/89.1 FM HD2 and KSL 102.7 FM/1160 AM.
- Freshman forward Gavin Baxter made his first career start vs. LMU and posted career highs of 25 points and 10 rebounds. Baxter hit 10 of 14 from the field and hit 2 of 4 from 3-point range, his first career 3s. He is the fifth Cougar with at least 20 points and 10 rebounds in his first career start and only the second freshman – Shawn Bradley had 23 and 14 in his BYU debut on Nov. 14, 1990, vs. East Tennessee State.
- Junior guard Nick Emery had his best game of the season, hitting 5 of 5 from 3-point range for a season-high 17 points and a season-best four steals. His five makes without a miss is tied for the second-most 3s without a miss and one off the record of six set by Nathan Call and Brock Zylstra.
- BYU is 19-2 all-time against Portland and has won the last two meetings in Portland.
BYU Cougars (14-10, 6-3 WCC)
- Head Coach: Dave Rose
- Alma Mater: Houston, 1983
- Division I Career Record: 343-132 (14th)
- Record at BYU: Same
Portland Pilots (7-17, 0-9 WCC)
- Head Coach: Terry Porter
- Alma Mater: UW-Stevens Point, 1993
- Career Record: 28-61 (3rd)
- Record at Portland: Same
- TV: ESPN2
- TV Talent: Steve Quis (play-by-play), Richie Schueler (analyst)
- Live Video: WatchESPN.com
- Radio: BYU Sports Network, BYU Radio Sirius XM 143/89.1 FM HD2, FM 100.3
- Radio Talent: Greg Wrubell (play-by-play), Terry Nashif (analyst)
- Live Stats: BYUcougars.com
- Series Record: 19-2
- Last Meeting: BYU won 79-56, 01/10/19
- H/A/N: 11-0/7-2/1-0