MALIBU, Calif. – Dropping only its second conference match of the season, BYU men’s tennis fell to Pepperdine 5-2 at the Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center on Friday.
Pepperdine (10-8, 5-1 WCC) struck first as Stefan Menichella and Jack Van Slyke took down Jeremy Bourgeois and Keaton Cullimore 6-1 at No. 1 doubles. BYU (13-10, 6-2 WCC) brother duo John Pearce and Matthew Pearce responded with a 6-2 victory over Pedro Iamachkine and Tom Hill before Guilherme Hadlich and Gabriel Sidney clinched the point for the Waves, beating seniors Aidan Carrazedo and Jacob Sullivan 6-4.
Pepperdine followed up by taking care of the first two singles matches with wins on courts four and five. Matthew Pearce fell 6-0, 6-3 to Jack Van Slyke while Carrazedo dropped his match to Dane Esses 6-4, 6-1. Sullivan fought back for the Cougars with a 6-4, 6-1 win over Menichella at No. 2 singles, but it wasn’t enough before the Waves clinched on court three as Iamachkine defeated John Pearce 7-5, 6-1.
With the remaining matches close, the Cougars and Waves decided to battle it out. Keaton Cullimore came up short to Hadlich at No. 1 singles, but freshman Sam Tullis pulled out a 6-3, 7-6 win on court six for BYU’s second and final point as Pepperdine won the match 5-2.
The Cougars continue on the road to play LMU on Saturday at 1 p.m. PDT for the final match of the regular season.
Pepperdine University 5, BYU Men's Tennis 2
- Menichella, Stefan/Van Slyke, Jack (PEP) def. BOURGEOIS, Jeremy/CULLIMORE, Keaton (BYU) 6-1
- Hadlich, Guilherme/Sidney, Gabriel (PEP) def. CARRAZEDO, Aidan/SULLIVAN, Jacob (BYU) 6-4
- PEARCE, John/PEARCE, Matthew (BYU) def. Iamachkine, Pedro/Hill, Tom (PEP) 6-2
Order of finish: (1,3,2)
- Hadlich, Guilherme (PEP) def. CULLIMORE, Keaton (BYU) 7-5, 6-1
- SULLIVAN, Jacob (BYU) def. Menichella, Stefan (PEP) 6-4, 6-1
- Iamachkine, Pedro (PEP) def. PEARCE, John (BYU) 7-5, 6-1
- Van Slyke, Jack (PEP) def. PEARCE, Matthew (BYU) 6-0, 6-3
- Esses, Dane (PEP) def. CARRAZEDO, Aidan (BYU) 6-4, 6-1
- TULLIS, Sam (BYU) def. Sidney, Gabriel (PEP) 6-3, 7-6 (8-6)
Order of finish: (4,5,2,3,1,6)