MALIBU, Calif. – Dropping only its second conference match of the season, BYU men’s tennis fell to Pepperdine 5-2 at the Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center on Friday.
Pepperdine (10-8, 5-1 WCC) struck first as Stefan Menichella and Jack Van Slyke took down Jeremy Bourgeois and Keaton Cullimore 6-1 at No. 1 doubles. BYU (13-10, 6-2 WCC) brother duo John Pearce and Matthew Pearce responded with a 6-2 victory over Pedro Iamachkine and Tom Hill before Guilherme Hadlich and Gabriel Sidney clinched the point for the Waves, beating seniors Aidan Carrazedo and Jacob Sullivan 6-4.
Pepperdine followed up by taking care of the first two singles matches with wins on courts four and five. Matthew Pearce fell 6-0, 6-3 to Jack Van Slyke while Carrazedo dropped his match to Dane Esses 6-4, 6-1. Sullivan fought back for the Cougars with a 6-4, 6-1 win over Menichella at No. 2 singles, but it wasn’t enough before the Waves clinched on court three as Iamachkine defeated John Pearce 7-5, 6-1.
With the remaining matches close, the Cougars and Waves decided to battle it out. Keaton Cullimore came up short to Hadlich at No. 1 singles, but freshman Sam Tullis pulled out a 6-3, 7-6 win on court six for BYU’s second and final point as Pepperdine won the match 5-2.
The Cougars continue on the road to play LMU on Saturday at 1 p.m. PDT for the final match of the regular season.
Pepperdine University 5, BYU Men's Tennis 2
- Menichella, Stefan/Van Slyke, Jack (PEP) def. BOURGEOIS, Jeremy/CULLIMORE, Keaton (BYU) 6-1
- Hadlich, Guilherme/Sidney, Gabriel (PEP) def. CARRAZEDO, Aidan/SULLIVAN, Jacob (BYU) 6-4
- PEARCE, John/PEARCE, Matthew (BYU) def. Iamachkine, Pedro/Hill, Tom (PEP) 6-2
Order of finish: (1,3,2)
- Hadlich, Guilherme (PEP) def. CULLIMORE, Keaton (BYU) 7-5, 6-1
- SULLIVAN, Jacob (BYU) def. Menichella, Stefan (PEP) 6-4, 6-1
- Iamachkine, Pedro (PEP) def. PEARCE, John (BYU) 7-5, 6-1
- Van Slyke, Jack (PEP) def. PEARCE, Matthew (BYU) 6-0, 6-3
- Esses, Dane (PEP) def. CARRAZEDO, Aidan (BYU) 6-4, 6-1
- TULLIS, Sam (BYU) def. Sidney, Gabriel (PEP) 6-3, 7-6 (8-6)
Order of finish: (4,5,2,3,1,6)
BYU men's tennis graduate senior Sean Hill, who was originally listed as the No. 2 alternate, will compete in the NCAA…
Three Cougars were named to All-WCC men's tennis teams, the West Coast Conference announced Thursday. Sean Hill earned…
BYU men's tennis sophomore Jack Barnett and senior Ben Gajardo were named the West Coast Conference Doubles Team of the…
BYU men's tennis (14-6, 7-1 WCC) closed out the regular season with a win, beating Loyola Marymount 4-2 at the LMU…