Overall team effort helps BYU defeat Gonzaga 4-1
PROVO, Utah – An overall team effort helped BYU men’s tennis defeat West Coast Conference opponent Gonzaga 4-1 Friday afternoon at the Indoor Tennis Courts.
"I thought Gonzaga did a nice job of coming in and preparing — they are a great team," BYU head coach Brad Pearce said. "It was a tough match, and I'm pleased that we prevailed. It is a challenging weekend with a rivalry match after an important WCC match, but I thought our guys handled it well. They did a great job of taking it one match at a time and not looking beyond the mark. I'm happy to get another home win, and we're looking forward to tomorrow."
The Cougars (13-2, 3-0 WCC) quickly won in No. 1 doubles against the Bulldogs (7-5, 0-2 WCC). Undefeated duo Sean Hill and Jeffrey Hsu earned a 6-2 win over Vincent Rettke and Kyle Everly. Sam Tullis and David Ball dropped their match against Emilio Moreno and Ruadhan O’Sullivan 6-4 in No. 3 doubles. With BYU and Gonzaga tied at a match a piece, the Cougars claimed the doubles point with a close 7-6 win from John Pearce and Ben Gajardo over Matthew Perkins and Hunter Egger in No. 2 doubles.
Up 1-0, BYU won three-consecutive singles matches. Hill defeated O’Sullivan 6-0, 6-3 in No. 1 singles, while teammate Tullis earned a 6-4, 6-3 win over Egger in No. 3 singles. Gajardo, who is undefeated in singles, solidified the Cougar win with a 6-3, 6-2 victory against Emilio Moreno (No. 4 singles), giving BYU its fourth win of the day.
Gonzaga’s Vincent Rettke defeated Hsu 6-3, 6-3 in No. 2 singles to earn the Bulldog’s their first win, concluding the match with a final score of 4-1.
The Cougars head to Salt Lake City to play against in-state rival Utah on Saturday, March 24, at 2 p.m. MST at the Eccles Tennis Center. BYU returns home Monday, March 26, at 1 p.m. MDT to host UNLV. The match will be played at the Outdoor Tennis Courts, weather permitting. Live stats will be available on the men’s schedule page.
BYU 4, Gonzaga 1
- HILL, Sean/HSU, Jeffrey (BYU) def. RETTKE, Vincent/EVERLY, Kyle (Gonzaga) 6-2
- PEARCE, John/GAJARDO, Ben (BYU) def. PERKINS, Matthew/EGGER, Hunter (Gonzaga) 7-6(1)
- MORENO, Emilio/O’SULLIVAN, Ruadhan (Gonzaga) def. TULLIS, Sam/BALL, David (BYU) 6-4
Order of finish: (1, 3, 2)
- HILL, Sean (BYU) def. O’SULLIVAN, Ruadhan (Gonzaga) 6-0, 6-3
- RETTKE, Vincent (Gonzaga) def. HSU, Jeffrey (BYU) 6-3, 6-3
- TULLIS, Sam (BYU) def. EGGER, Hunter (Gonzaga) 6-4, 6-3
- GAJARDO, Ben (BYU) def. MORENO, Emilio (Gonzaga) 6-3, 6-2
- EVERLY, Kyle (Gonzaga) def. BALL, David (BYU) 7-6(2) (DNF)
- PEARCE, Matthew (BYU) vs. PERKINS, Matthew (Gonzaga)
Order of finish: (1, 3, 4, 2)
Follow Men’s Tennis on Social Media
Fans can keep up with the latest on Cougar tennis by following us on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/byumenstennis), Twitter (@BYU_Mens_Tennis) and Instagram (@byumtennis).