Upset Victory Eludes Cougars
LINCOLN -- A second weekend victory was not to be for the No. 66 BYU men’s tennis team, which dropped a 4-3 decision to No. 53 Nebraska on Saturday. With the loss, the Cougars fell to 9-8 on the season while NU improved to 12-2.
After sweeping the doubles matches in Friday’s bout against Southern Mississippi, BYU struggled in pairs play against the Huskers. NU secured the doubles point after wins at the No. 1 and No. 2 positions. Sophomores Daniel Hwang and Thomas Shubert earned the only doubles victory on the day for the Cougars, an 8-4 defeat of Francois Van Impe and Hendrik Stahmer.
The Huskers came out strong in singles play with winning performances on courts one through three to clinch the victory. BYU refused to go quietly, taking the matches at the last three positions.
Junior Cassidy Mears handily defeated his opponent at the No. 5 position. The victory marks Mears’ fifth consecutive singles win. Freshman Georgy Batrakov and Hwang also recorded wins for the Cougars.
The team will resume its season next week, hosting Loyola Marymount, Eastern Washington and Montana State.
1. David Bendheim and Calin Paar (NU) defeated Roman Warias and Georgy Batrakov (BYU) 8-2
2. Christopher Aumueller and Benedikt Lindheim (NU) defeated Evan Urbina and Cassidy Mears (BYU) 8-3
3. Thomas Shubert and Daniel Hwang (BYU) defeated Francois Van Impe and Hendrik Stahmer (NU) 8-4
1. David Bendheim (NU) defeated Roman Warias (BYU) 6-2, 6-2
2. Calin Paar (NU) defeated Evan Urbina (BYU) 6-4, 6-1
3. Christopher Aumueller (NU) defeated Thomas Shubert (BYU) 6-1, 6-4
4. Georgy Batrakov (BYU) defeated Hendrik Stahmer (NU) 7-5, 6-2
5. Cassidy Mears (BYU) defeated Benedikt Lindheim (NU) 7-5, 6-1
6. Daniel Hwang (BYU) defeated Renato Melo (NU) 6-1, 7-5