Cougars Suffer Loss to Dons
SAN -- Disappointment struck the No. 46 BYU men’s tennis team Saturday with a 4-2 loss to the University of San Francisco Dons.
Evan Urbina and Patrick Kawka went 8-4 to win against Dons Germain Bahri and William Schumacher, but the Cougars barely missed victory on Court 2 and Court 3, with Tyler Loong and Thomas Shubert falling 9-8 to Mark DeCastro and Richard Bucalem and newcomer Michael Eraso and Roman Warias falling 9-8 to Ola Bakke and Jacob Hartwig.
No. 110 Urbina found success in singles with a 6-4, 3-6, 6-3 victory against Bakke on Court 1. Shubert also conquered his Don opponent in straight sets for the Cougars’ second point. Loong and Eraso fell on courts 5 and 6 in straight sets. Warias was forced to retire from his match, defaulting to his opponent.
The Cougars are back in Provo Friday for a matchup against Nevada at 5:30 p.m. Admission is free and pizza and prizes will be provided.
No. 46 BYU vs. USFCA
1. Kawka/Urbina (BYU) def. Bahri/Schumacher (USFCA) 8-4
2. Bucalem/DeCastro (USFCA) def. Loong/Shubert (BYU) 9-8
3. Bakke/Hartwig (USFCA) def. Eraso/Warias (BYU) 9-8
1. No. 110 Evan Urbina (BYU) def. Ola Bakke (USFCA) 6-4, 3-6, 6-3
2. No. 88 Patrick Kawka (BYU) vs. Mark DeCastro (USFCA) 7-6, 6-7, 5-5 susp.
3. Thomas Shubert (BYU) def. William Schumacher (USFCA) 6-4, 6-4
4. Richard Bucalem (USFCA) def. Roman Warias (BYU) 6-3, 4-2 ret.
5. Jacob Hartwig (USFCA) def. Tyler Loong (BYU) 6-3, 6-3
6. Alex Kotlyar (USFCA) def. Michael Eraso (BYU) 6-2, 6-1