Men's volleyball to travel to Pepperdine for big time MPSF matchup
PROVO, Utah. — The No. 2 BYU men’s volleyball team will travel to Malibu to take on the Pepperdine Waves March 19 and 20, both at 1:00 p.m. PDT. The games will be streamed on Wavecasts.
“We're just constantly working on getting better and so these are going to be big matchups.” Said head coach Shawn Olmstead. “Pepperdine is an outstanding program that always plays. They're always great matchups when we can get on the court together. It's going to be good for our guys and it's going to be nice to travel down there. Just a strong program and outstanding coaching staff, it'll be good tests for our guys.”
All Time Series:
BYU 34-34 Pepperdine
BYU 11-25 Pepperdine (In Malibu)
BYU 23-9 Pepperdine (In Provo)
No. 2 BYU (10-2 overall, 10-2 MPSF)
- The Cougars are on a 15 set win streak
- BYU hit .510 (34-8-51) as a team, the second highest clip in the MPSF this year, against Stanford on March 13
- Gabi Garcia Fernandez ranks second in the MPSF in aces per set (.51)
- The Cougars lead the MPSF in aces (1.61), blocks (2.52), and hitting percentage (.325)
No. 4 Pepperdine (8-3 Overall, 8-3 MPSF)
- Waves senior middle blocker Austin Wilmot was named MPSF Defensive Player of the Week
- Pepperdine is the only MPSF conference team to be unbeaten at home this year. No visiting in- conference opponent has won in Firestone Fieldhouse since 2018.
- No. 4 Pepperdine is the highest ranked team the Cougars have faced this season.