PROVO, Utah – For the third-straight game, BYU women’s basketball will face off against an in-state foe, traveling to Logan, Utah to play Utah State on Saturday, Dec. 17, at 2 p.m. MST.
The game will be broadcast live on The Mtn. with a radio option on BYU Radio – Sirius XM 143 and byuradio.org.
BYU AT A GLANCE
Junior guard Cassie Broadhead is one of three players averaging double digits for the Cougars with her team-best 15.2 points. Senior guard Makenzi Pulsipher follows with 13.4 points. Senior forward Kalani Purcell is next, recording 12.2 points and a team-best 8.9 rebounds per contest.
As a team, BYU is scoring 63.8 points per game while shooting 41.1 percent from the field, 28.3 percent from behind the 3-point line and 65.0 percent from the charity stripe. The Cougars pull down 35.8 rebounds a game.
In this year’s West Coast Conference preseason poll chosen by the coaches, BYU, the defending regular season conference champion, was selected to finish second in the league race behind Gonzaga. Purcell and Pulsipher were named to the Preseason All-Conference team.
- Head coach: Jeff Judkins (Utah, ‘78), 16th season
- Team’s leading scorer: #20 C. Broadhead 15.2 ppg
- Team’s leading rebounder: #32 K. Purcell, 8.9 rpg
- Team’s assists leader: #32 K. Purcell, 4.4 apg
- Team’s steals leader: #32 K. Purcell, 2.2 spg
- Team’s blocks leader: #20 C. Broadhead, 1.33 bpg
UTAH STATE AT A GLANCE
Utah State has compiled a 6-2 record. The Aggies return eight letterwinners and two starters. Last year the team finished with a 14-17 record, including a seventh place finish, with an 8-10 mark in Mountain West play. This year, Utah State is predicted to finish in ninth place in their league race.
Rachel Brewster is the only player tallying double figures in points for the Aggies with 13.9 points. Shannon Dufficy is averaging the same number in rebounds and points with 8.6, which is the top mark in boards on the team.
The Aggies are averaging 65.9 points per game while shooting 40.6 percent from the field and 67.9 percent from the free-throw line.
- Head coach: Jerry Finkbeiner (Southern Nazarene, ‘80), fifth season
- Team’s leading scorer: #22 R. Brewster, 13.9 ppg
- Team’s leading rebounder: #5 S. Dufficy, 8.9 rpg
- Team’s assists leader: #1 E. West, 4.1 apg
- Team’s steals leader: #1 E. West, 2.3 spg
- Team’s blocks leader: #44 D. Mason, 2.3 bpg
In Judkins’ 16 years at BYU, the Cougars have never lost to the Aggies. The last time BYU lost was on Dec. 7, 1978 in Logan, Utah. Since then, the Cougars are 27-0. The last time this matchup was at the Dee Glen Smith Spectrum, the game went to double overtime, with BYU pulling out the 62-58 victory.
Following the in-state game on Saturday, BYU will host the Washington Huskies, currently ranked No.11in the USA Today Coaches Poll, on Thursday, Dec. 22, at 2 p.m. MST. That game will be broadcast live on BYUtv and BYU Radio – Sirius XM 143.